Thread: Ranger RT198

Ranger RT198

What jack plate is Ranger using on the 198? I have a 2019 model and want to add power poles. I do not want to void my warranty.

2. Member
    I have a 2017 RT198P that I bought second hand. I did not have a warranty on the boat so I put on a 10" manual jack plate. After reading that Ranger offers a 4" hydraulic or 6" manual, I put on a 4" hydraulic. I have two power poles mounted to the jack plate. I remember seeing that the two size jack plates have to be installed by the factory or maybe the dealer so that the warranty is not voided.

3. Member
    What speed are you seeing? My boat is a 2018 with a 2-stroke Merc 150 Pro XS. I can touch 58 (on gps).

4. Member
    I normally will run 57 GPS by myself. When I had my 10" jack plate, I saw 61 as top speed.

5. Member
    Thanks for the response. I am going to look at a 6 inch manual plate. I really want to get power poles later this year.

When I bought my rig, it did not have the Jack Plate or Talons, I was understanding those options MUST be dealer installed, or warranty was voided. It was a 4" Jack Plate that Ranger would allow, again, dealer installed.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    Ranger cannot "void" your warranty. Your "warranty" is a comprehensive coverage contract between the owner and manufacturer that covers all covered areas. It is against the law for a manufacturer to "void" a warranty.

What you may be asking is can Ranger deny a warranty claim that they say is caused by a jack plate that either they did not install, one of their dealers didn't install, or you installed one that was not appropriate for the boat.

Ranger certainly puts 6" manual and 4" or 6" hydraulic plates on the RT198P.

I have a 5.5" CMC manual jack plate that came off my last boat that I just had me dealer install after 1.5 yrs of ownership. Should have put it on from the start. BIG difference in effectiveness of trim, speed, handling. It even trailers much better. Don't run your 198 without one.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    Thanks