Thread: Pro kote

Pro kote

Any body had trouble with Pro Kote rod finish not setting up. Got some the other day and mixed two batches and neither on got hard, not even set up in the least. Thanks guys.

2. Member
    I used it on a couple of my first builds. The first batch set, but didn’t feel hard for a few weeks. Didn’t hurt anything but just didn’t feel like hardened epoxy. The second build I did came out a bit better. Even after 1.5 years, it still feels like it’s softer than other epoxies. I think it’s designed that way to avoid cracking at the guide feet.

all I know is ProKote is easier for me to apply and more user friendly than TM high build
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

sounds wrong to me, have you called mudhole they probably have an answer for you

I have had the same issues. Some say that if you mix smaller amounts and if your mixture isnt even that will happen.

I switched to gen 4 and havent had problems like that but I still want to switch to a light/low buildup epoxy going forward.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, going to be looking into something different going forward.

6. Member
    You'll have much better luck with any of the epoxies if you mix at least 3 cc of each, and mix at least 2 minutes, it most be absolutely clear with no swirls in it from the compounds not being mixed.

7. Member
    I've used Prokote in the past and didn't care for it. I've settled on D2. One thing that I've found even with the D2 is that in the summer it takes longer to set up for me, my basement gets really cold with the AC on, like with the upstairs set at 71 the basement is probably 66 or 67. In the winter it's the opposite since my building room is right next to the furnace room. We set the heat at 69 upstairs and my room has got to be 73 or 74 in the winter.

I'm comfortable measuring out down to 1cc using syringes with D2 for like a single guide repair but I do usually try and finish multiple repairs at a time or do a full rod and a single guide repair so I can mix up at least 3cc's

I use a coat of light TM and a coat of high on my wraps. Not a fan of procoat, I have heard that you need to mix 3cc of it everytime.

9. Member
    I have settled on medium build. It seems to dry quicker and harder. I also like the finish with two coats.

Only issue I ever had with prokote is when I messed up and didn't get enough hardener in there. Then it stayed sticky for a lot longer then normal. I switched to TM awhile back and haven't had any issues.