SN: 3B152922
    2022 Mercury 150 ProXS
    2022 Lund Crossover XS 1875
    Prop: Originally an Enertia 17P (was underpropped), now a Tempest Plus 19P
    RPM :WOT hit rev limiter with Enertia and is ~5,900 with Tempest Plus
    ~600 idle and no water pressure gauge
    Analog gauges
    A little over 8 hours on motor

On my 5th trip out fishing I noticed that my motors tilt from the cowl left little room for me to put the M-Y Wedge on the trim\tilt ram where I normally had about an 1/8th" clearance on full tilt. I didn't give much thought to it at the time since I was still able to squeeze the wedge in. However, when I got out to the lake, I noticed that the trim on plane was also reduced some. Prior to that trip I could trim it up far enough to get it to just start to blow out and lose my top speed of 45MPH. I could also see on the gauge that the trim was less than before, and my top speed was now 42MPH.

This was with the Enertia prop which would let the engine hit the rev limiter at just over 45MPH. I believe the motor was at the perfect trim level as this was the top speed I could get while keeping the RPM's at 6,000 even. I still had some throttle left and if pushed further the rev limiter would kick in. If I trimmed it further, it would lose speed and eventually blow out.

I took it to my dealer and explained the issue and asked them to take a look at it. I also explained the issue with the prop allowing it to over rev and that the 2022 Lund Red Book recommended the Tempest Plus 19P. There's more story to this that I won't go into here, but they put the Tempest on to let me try. Then they adjusted the tilt so that I now had about 3/4" clearance for my wedge, but when I got it back on the water, I realized the trim was the same.

I called the tech at my dealership to let them know of this, and he told me they can't adjust the trim-only the tilt. I realize the trim can't be adjusted beyond the 20 degrees set by the ECM, but what would cause it to be less than it was before, and what can be done to get it back to where it was?

On a side note, I called Mercury to ask about it, and the person I spoke with said that hitting the rev limiter with the original prop could have caused the computer to adjust the trim down some to prevent that. Though I have not been able to come across anything that confirms this.

All I'm wanting to do is get the trim back to the range it was prior to the change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Bump.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptonite
    On a side note, I called Mercury to ask about it, and the person I spoke with said that hitting the rev limiter with the original prop could have caused the computer to adjust the trim down some to prevent that. Though I have not been able to come across anything that confirms this.
    Wow- I needed a good laugh today! That's the best one so far this week!

Wondering if something has occurred to alter the sensor, crosspin or set-screw. If any of those moved, it would affect BOTH the Trim Limit and the Tilt Limit.

One other note: When you're in the water (or you have PLENTY of clearance below the engine), run the trim down and hold the DOWN button for 4-seconds (stall the trim at down position for 4 seconds) then release.

This will usually adapt the down position (automatically).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you Don! I'll give that a try.

5. Member
    I tried stalling out the trim in down position for 4 seconds a couple times and it didn't remedy the situation.

I took it back to the dealer and once again asked them to look into it. They offered to remove the safety feature entirely, but I would have to sign a release to do so. I told them I didn't want the safety feature removed but just wanted my engine to work like it did when I first got it. So they put it on the computer to check the parameters and told me it was operating correctly.

No one there has even tried to give me a reason for why both the tilt and trim were reduced. It's like they don't believe what I'm telling them about my issue. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I did read some threads about issues with the set screw backing out. I took a look at mine. It doesn't look fully seated to me (I can get my fingernail under the head), but it's not loose either. I did as others suggested and used a sharpie to make some alignment marks on the screw and then took pictures of it as well as the alignment pins location.
    Last edited by Tiptonite; 08-04-2022 at 04:44 PM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Set Screw will not sit flush because the surface beneath it is not flat (and it's not intended to bottom out on the head of the screw).

For grins and giggles- I would probably remove the digital trim sender, inspect the magnet/crosspin, reinstall the digital sender making sure it's seated/centered, and then try again.

Also carefully check engine mounting hardware, jackplate hardware, etc- if anything there is loose it can result in a negative trim angle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor