Spark plugs for 2003 Merc 225 EFI Ser #OT651558

My friend owns a Napa store in town, and I just purchased the plugs at the right of the pictures. They don't seem to be physically different that the others I have, but the boxes are different with the new once saying 'Champion Copper Plus'.
    The plugs are Champion QL77CC .040 gap for this motor, which are the only ones to be used according to Don Weed, and the only ones I have been using.
    Does anyone know if and when they changed the boxes? or Are the new ones different somehow?
    Thank you to y'all in advance.
    sparkplugs2.jpg sparkplugs.jpg

I would venture to say it's just a packaging change. A QL77CC is a QL77CC. Don or Joe will confirm.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    same plug just new paint job got some just like um in stock
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    same plug just new paint job got some just like um in stock
    Thank you Joe, which I thought that was the case, since I don't think Napa would be selling counterfeit parts, and my friend owns the store. They must have just added the word 'Plus' to make it sound like they did something for the price increase.

There should be a sticker on the left side of the block (you have to remove the cowling) that will tell you what spark plug is recommended.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    only one recommended QL77CC for it , do NOT put NGK plugs in this engine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    only one recommended QL77CC for it , do NOT put NGK plugs in this engine
    Thanks Joe, you are spot on, which is exactly what Don when I inquired about NGK, and the manual says same.
    I will be tossing the current set out, since I used them to do my decarbonization. Major smoke show.

8. Member
    Champion QL77CC only nothing else. I buy them 6 at a time. That is from Mercury Marine.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ditto to above. And they've been available in a couple different packaging options all along.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Replaced plugs that I used to do the decarb, and they were very fouled up with slimy black substance. Cylinders and piston heads looked good with borescope, but I may do the rest of the spray bottle before I will put her way at end of season.
    Installed new plugs double check gap at .040", torqued to 25#+- after faced by hand, and dielectric lube on ceramic, tip, and boot. Motor fired straight up on hose with smooth idle.
    Time to get her back in the water for some tight lines.

Thank you to y'all for your replies.

just replaced mine and got same package!