New to Painting-Recommendations

Hey everyone,

I received a iwata neo cn kit for my birthday to get into painting hard baits, something I wanted to do for a while now.

Anyway, I am looking for resources for affordable paint and blank suppliers to help get me started. Also what clear coat should I get?

Additonally, some recipes with colors would be nice too. I saw the bait thread on this forum but a lot of the images won't load.

I have seen a lot of youtube videos in the last few days, but getting the colors figured out isn't always easy.

Also any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Member
    Sugartit lures, alternative lures, get bit custom lures, backwater outfitters for blanks. I’ve heard good things about Golden airbrush paints, Wicked paints by createx. I would get a few bottles of Golden, it sprays pretty easy. A lot of the Createx may require thinning, so prepare for that. I would stay away from the wal mart type craft paints, especially if starting and using the Neo.

I would start out with UV as a clear, or Devcon 2 ton slow cure epoxy. Check out you tube, lots of info. Also, check out Brotherhood of custom crankbait painting, on FaceBook. great site, lots of info. Be sure to read the guidelines. You will learn a lot there, and the people are great.

sorry I’m typing so sloppy, I’m beat.

Look over some of these sites and feel free to PM me on here for specific questions if you like, I’ll be glad to help in any way I can. Starting out can be intimidating, don’t let it be. I think I can save you some trial and error, which may keep you from buying things you may not need at this point. I got so discouraged when I first started, I’m no expert, but I’ve made a lot or errors, so I can share those with you, where you can avoid it. Again feel free to PM me if needed.

Ron

3. Member
    I use wicked and createx and most sprays out of the bottle. Some colors need to be thinned, but that is typical of most paints. I would also suggest looking at Cedar Creek Outdoors as another supplier. Post any questions here and we will try and help.

4. Member
    The best advice I got was get the reducer made for the paint you are using and not try all the homemade varieties when you start out and don't be afraid to go and wash the paint off when you make a mistake and start over. It's going to happen. I shoot wicked and createx, some colors shoot better than others and for some reason black and white for me are a pain to shoot for me. The wicked line is easier to use. Also read the side of the bottle, it has recommended psi and tip size to use. The last thing is practice on a piece of paper making dots, lines, shading and using a stencil. As far as blanks go, always be on the lookout for the crankbaits in colors that do not sell that are on clearance or on sale. I walked out of Walmart today with a 1/2 dozen DT6 for $3.50 each.

Check this playlist out. I try and explain everything I'm doing.
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...bBha8V5Hdnq6b9