Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying A Rod You've Never Seen

I have never purchased a rod unless I could see and handle it first. After looking at some of the Summer Specials that TW is offering on discontinued products, however, I'm really tempted to buy something. Would you take a chance on a rod that you have never seen?

2. Member
    I'd try to ask about comparisons on here, comparing rods that you have used to perspective rods you're looking at buying.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    All but the first 2 and most recent of my 15 Megabass rods were bought sight unseen. I liked the first 2 so much I figured there was a high probability I'd like the others. Only 3 of those didn't give me the "bang" factor but I still have uses for them.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I bought 2 casting rods at Dick's Sporting Goods and 4 casting rods at Cabela's. These are the only rods I've handled before buying since 2009 when I got back into fishing. This is out of 6 fly rods, 10 spinning rods and 85 casting rods. I've only been disappointed with 2 (casting) rods and I didn't research the one. I read a lot of reviews and rely on the opinions of others on fishing forums. But I'm not as persnickety as a lot of people. Different seats don't bother me. I did have one rod where I had to get used to the trigger as it made my fingers sore at first.

5. Member
    Don't see any exclusions to the returns policy.
    Free return shipping in the US. Just keep it fresh.
    Seems like a no risk policy. Call to be certain.

https://img.tacklewarehouse.com/PDF/tackle_returns2.pdf

6. Member
    ask bout the rod in this bbc forum.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Sometimes, you can find a rod review on tackletour.com Usually, they will compare the rod that they are reviewing to another popular rod on their deflection chart. That will give you an idea how the rod that you are considering will perform.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Member
    If I didn't buy rods unseen, I wouldn't be able to buy any mid to high range rods living here lol. Honestly have only been disappointed in a few, most meet or exceed expectations.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Honestly I think I've only purchased a couple of rods from a store where I could actually have the rod in hand before purchasing. All other rods have been purchased sight unseen. I try to do my due diligence by looking at reviews and seeing what others have to say regarding comparisons to other rods I might have owned before. And I've purchased several rods from The Tackle Trap after getting a recommendation from Gary. For the most part I've been very happy with my purchases. Sometimes I get a rod that is a great rod but just doesn't have that "it" factor for me, but thanks to the BBC Rods 4 Sale page I can usually sell it. I will say that I have found that I really like Megabass rods. I have never purchased one I didn't love regardless of price point. The tapers on a Megabass rod just match the way I fish better than a lot of other rods.

Find someone that knows their stuff and you can trust. Talk to them about what you want to use the rod for Bronzefly, Gary, from the Tackle Trap KNOWS rods. Search this forum here and you will see who knows rods and who is a "pro staffer". Remember though those rods are being discontinued for a reason
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

11. Member
    I always buy rods I have never seen and TW never has good prices on rods and you should be looking elsewhere.

12. Member
    I've bought a vast majority of my rods sight unseen. As others have stated, read reviews, post here, etc. I don't think twice about it.. even buying used.

13. Member
    Message Gary (Bronzefly) at The Tackle Trap. Describe how you plan on using the rod, and he’ll make a recommendation. I really like the fact he’ll give you a few options. Usually a high end, mid priced, and then a budget model. I’ve bought three rods this way. All of them have been great, and excelled at the intended purpose

14. Member
    Ask around on the forum, but TW has free returns. Just make sure to look extra carefully in the rod tubes because the return sticker often gets caught up inside the tube. At least in my experience.

In fact I know a few guys that order multiple rods from them at a time and just send the ones back that don't meet what they were looking for.

15. Member
    I’ve never been able to handle any of my rods before I bought them. Nobody around here sells them

If buying a rod sight unseen, Gary of Tackle Trap is the best choice to get a solid recommendations.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    I always buy rods I have never seen and TW never has good prices on rods and you should be looking elsewhere.
    Cannot beat their search engine and stocking though. It's always interesting to filter the exact specs on the rod you want and see which models pop up.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

18. Member
    Most of the rods I've bought have been unseen. More than 100 of them. If it doesn't work out then sell it. Easy enough to do.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

Thank you for the kind words and recommendations guys! I deal with guys who don't have access to these rods on a regular basis and work hard to make accurate recommendations based on the information at hand. Feel free to send me a PM anytime if I can help out with rod/reel selection.

all bought online site unseen over the last 10-15 years, most worked out, those that didn’t I listed on here and sold. Recently was able to handle some custom blanks that I’m having built at a guys shop in the next town and that was a good experience also.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast