Trailer running light help

The pig tail that plugs into the truck is pinched near the swing tongue. I do not have continuity from the round plug that goes to the truck and the other end at the swing tongue. I have verified it's bad. The brown wire is supposedly the running lights. It is shorted to ground or I have continuity between the white wire/ trailer itself and the brown running lights wire. The white wire is supposedly the ground. If I unplug the license plate illumination bulb I no longer have continuity between the brown wire and ground. I'm assuming all these lights are led so am I correct in assuming the license plate bulb is bad? I would think the brown wire is 12v+ and having continuity with the ground is bad. I'm asking because maybe I don't know everything about led lights either. Are my assumptions/ findings correct?
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

2. Member
    Lic plate light sounds like it's an incandescent lamp.
    What sort of plug do you have on the ends of trailer harness?
    As for the LED's, you may see continuity if you reverse the test leads even w/out plate lamp installed. Not really important.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Lic plate light sounds like it's an incandescent lamp.
    What sort of plug do you have on the ends of trailer harness?
    As for the LED's, you may see continuity if you reverse the test leads even w/out plate lamp installed. Not really important.
    The vehicle side is the 7 pin round plug. If you open the swing tongue you have two 5 pin connectors that come apart. I tested from the 7 pin plug to the other end which is a 5 pin. It's sounding like I just need the trailer pig tail and I should be good. I think you are correct about the license plate bulb being incandescent. I appreciate your help. I got confused when I found continuity with ground.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup