School me on Fuel/Vessel setup

Ok, so I tried to use the Fuel settings on my Lowrance, based on this thread http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=849730 (I started to reply to that thread, but since it's 5 year old I decided against it :). Anyway maybe I mis-understood, but it's not working as I expected it to.

I thought since I have NEMA connection to my motor (Yamaha SHO 225) and it shows me fuel usage ie GPH used while running that if I did the Fuel page setup ie number of motors, tanks, capacity and then set the current fuel level fuel level, etc that it would then start tracking fuel usage. But, I still only see 0's on the fuel usage/tracking screen. Do I need the Fuel Manager NEMA part also? Or maybe I missed a step in setting it up possibly? I did not actually "Start" a trip, is that required?

2. Member
    yes u need the Navico Fuel Data Manager also.
    I t is sort of a dongle device that plugs into the nema backbone.
    also need the Gateway device to convert the engine data to something the lowrance will identifiy.

then to use run your engine on a trip as usual.
    when you get back fill tank completely,record how much gallons you needed
    put that number in fuel used in system/fuel .
    reset to zero for next trip.
    following next trip you should see a pretty accurate account of fuel used,may not be exactly what yoou had added,but from there you can start to tweak it.
    I like the accuracy but found over time i could pretty much tell how much fuel i needed before i even filled up,plus there are a few extra clicks to do to get really accurate.
    there are some you tube videos on all of this,better than Lowrance videos.
    my system is a Yam Sho 2021 250hp,Carbon 9.

Ok yeah I have the Yamaha Engine Interface Cable already, so I get data like temp, rpm, hours, etc.

So you are saying I need to add both the Data Manager Dongle AND the Yamaha Gateway? If so that's more of a $$ project than I wanted lol. I thought it would be nice to have fuel used data via the Lowrance, as my gas gauge seems a bit suspect once it gets around half a tank and lower. I could stomach the $100 for the dongle, but adding another 3-400 for the gateway make this not so necessary lol...

4. Member
    You just need the FDM device. Add it to the network, configure it as per the instructions, and you are away.

The FDM takes the fuel flow rate from the engine and uses it to calculate fuel used.

When you do the setup and tell it your tank capacity, it will then also tell you fuel remaining.

Then whenever you fill up or add fuel, you must go into settings/fuel and select refuel, then either check the “set to full” button, which resets fuel used to zero and fuel remaining back to the full capacity, or “add fuel” if you put some in but dont fill all the way. It then adjusts fuel used and fuel remaining to take account of how much you told it you added.

5. Member
    Moonlighter is correct. I did this on my 250 SHO. The Fuel Data Manager is all you need right now as you have everything else required.

Mine was accurate within around a gallon of gas after a little calibration.
    NPAA #803

Excellent news - ok will order the FDM! Thanks all.

7. Member
    yes i stand corrected on gateway.
    I have one on my boat between nema from engine,to backbone then to Lowrance.
    but i also have older gauges on my console,perhaps that is why it is there.
    what i have found in refilling my fuel is that there is always a little more needed to top off tank,and the fuel used never quite the same as what fuel system says i used.
    i think filling tank until you either see it under cap,or just wont take anymore,prevents humidity and hence water collection in fuel.
    so i always try to top off fuel.
    going a while without fuel top off may be asking for trouble with water in tank down the line.
    john

Arrived and installed today... Did the setup, so will try it out this weekend.

One last question - do I need to start a trip or some similar action, or does it just do it's thing once configured?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Arrived and installed today... Did the setup, so will try it out this weekend.

One last question - do I need to start a trip or some similar action, or does it just do it's thing once configured?
    Once installed, you can hit the power button and go to edit data overlay and add some of the information from the FDM. I just did my 400 Verado last week as I added my FDM.

Fill your boat up and then tell the FDM how many gallons your boat holds. Then the next time you fill up you can calibrate it by telling it how many gallons it actually took and it will get it even closer.

Mine is now within a half gallon believe it or not.

As far as a trip meter, you can also go to the pages button, go down to info on the left side and choose trip if you want that info.

Regardless if you make your own page through engine data and add all the date with edit overlay, you can add anything you want including making your own fuel gauge. It will tell you gallons used and everything.
    NPAA #803

10. Member
    When its installed it defaults to a full tank and zero fuel used. So you dont need to do anything else. If your fuel tank is not currently full, go fill it up.

As Mach440 said, put an overlay item on your screen - I just put Fuel Used there.

You can also put fuel economy there if you are interested in travelling at the most economical speed - or you can scare yourself seeing live figures for mpg . You might be surprised to see the difference between 4800rpm and 5800rpm.

As I mentioned in my earlier post from now on, whenever you fill up or add fuel, you must go into settings/fuel and select refuel, then either check the “set to full” button, which resets fuel used to zero and fuel remaining back to the full capacity, or “add fuel” if you put some in but dont fill all the way. It then adjusts fuel used and fuel remaining to take account of how much you told it you added.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    When its installed it defaults to a full tank and zero fuel used. So you dont need to do anything else. If your fuel tank is not currently full, go fill it up.

As Mach440 said, put an overlay item on your screen - I just put Fuel Used there.

You can also put fuel economy there if you are interested in travelling at the most economical speed - or you can scare yourself seeing live figures for mpg . You might be surprised to see the difference between 4800rpm and 5800rpm.

As I mentioned in my earlier post from now on, whenever you fill up or add fuel, you must go into settings/fuel and select refuel, then either check the “set to full” button, which resets fuel used to zero and fuel remaining back to the full capacity, or “add fuel” if you put some in but dont fill all the way. It then adjusts fuel used and fuel remaining to take account of how much you told it you added.
    Sounds good, thanks. Yep filled up with some Ethanol-Free 90 in anticipation for adding this, so should be good to go for the weekend. Have the Fuel Economy overlay already up (new to me boat/motor so as you mentioned trying to find sweet spot, etc). Will add Fuel used as well.

Took it out today, everything worked great. Was able to see gallons used and percentage of tank used with overlays, as well as current gph/econ/etc. At the end of the day, is says I used 10 gallons and 77% fuel remaining, and I put 10.3 gallons in the tank on the way home. So pretty accurate. Well worth a c-note imo. Thanks all for the help...

BTW - have a 44 gal tank, saw in one of the threads a recommendation to set tank a bit less, ie 2 gallons for safety so set mine at 42 - but it appears accurate enough so is that really necessary? Unless there is other reason for it?

13. Member
    I dont do that. I set mine at exactly the known tank quantity. As you saw its pretty darn accurate!

Look in the Alarms menu - you can set a low fuel alarm that will take care of alerting you when you get low. I set mine at 15%.