Wood Pellets, Flavor?

I'm picking up a pellet smoker soon. With wood pellets, the flavors seem to be more prevalent and I'm wondering what flavors you all prefer and with what meats? I currently have an offset smoker and usually just use hardwood chunks or briquets to smoke.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

I have tried a few different flavors and got tired of switching around. I now stick with a blend most of the time with my favorite being Camp Chef's Competition Blend. I have a few bags of Lumberjack Charwood that I'm looking forward to trying out.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Last edited by Bobcat55; 07-28-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

4. Member
    We like straight hickory .

5. Member
    Camp Chef competition blend also. Less dust in the bags, so you don’t have to clean the burn chamber as much as you do with cheaper pellets.
    2018 21 PHX/Verado 250 Pro

6. Member
    I've tried a few kinds now and for me no matter what the pellet used I need to use smoke tubes. Doing a pork butt right now and when I started it last night I layered a tube with pellets and and wood chips and it smoked 4-5 hours. I've tried it without a tube and it certainly was still delicious but the smoke flavor the tube adds is noticeable. For salmon last weekend I had two tubes smoking.

7. Member
    I honestly can't tell the difference in taste. I usually am doing meats not fidh. I look for pellets that cost under $0.50 per pound.

I use Green Mountain Grills (GMGj Premium Texas Blend pellets in the smoke box on my Napoleon built-in gas’s grill, and in a pellet holder in the BGE when I need extra smoke on big cuts of meat. My son uses them almost exclusively in his RecTec Bull. Hickory, Black a oak, and Mesquite. It’s a great blend to supplement the Post Oak I use to smoke beef.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Selection isn't great where I live. I basically have Walmart and Tractor Supply local to me. That is it. So Pit Boss and Bear Mountain is what I have to choose from. My wife seems to prefer hickory or hickory blend so that is what I have used recently. The right or wrong rub can make more of a difference IMO.

I use a hickory blend for most stuff. Would have to look to see what’s in it. Did a ham in my MES40 with a smoke tube yesterday. Came out great. Poultry I go lightly with fruit woods. Brisket I try to use mesquite. That tube makes a helluva difference in an electric.

F7FF9436-F73F-44AA-B4E5-051405DB2FE2.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    Selection isn't great where I live. I basically have Walmart and Tractor Supply local to me. That is it. So Pit Boss and Bear Mountain is what I have to choose from. My wife seems to prefer hickory or hickory blend so that is what I have used recently. The right or wrong rub can make more of a difference IMO.
    The local Ace Hardware here carries an exceptional selection of pellets, lump, and smoking woods. They’re a premier BGE dealer, so they stock all the supplies and spices you could ever need. Maybe try Ace you have one, or another local store that sells smokers, BGE, etc.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2/3rds apple, 1/3 hickory
    Scott Inman

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The local Ace Hardware here carries an exceptional selection of pellets, lump, and smoking woods. They’re a premier BGE dealer, so they stock all the supplies and spices you could ever need. Maybe try Ace you have one, or another local store that sells smokers, BGE, etc.
    Went to my local ACE this morning and the only pellets they have is Traeger. They did have a nice selection of rubs and sauces to try though. I don't mind the Traeger pellets but I don't think they are worth the premium price over the Pit Boss or Bear Mountain pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    Went to my local ACE this morning and the only pellets they have is Traeger. They did have a nice selection of rubs and sauces to try though. I don't mind the Traeger pellets but I don't think they are worth the premium price over the Pit Boss or Bear Mountain pellets.
    I would agree. Traeger pellets are overpriced. But, then quite a few brands are if you compare overall quality vs. price per pound. The RecTeq pellets are reasonably priced @ $35.00 for 40 pounds. I by the GMG pellets because they’re locally sold, and the bag isn’t huge.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    Had good results with the RecTeq Pellets but hate having to order them, CookinPellets and LumberJack are my go to. As for flavors, I like the competition blend for pork/chicken and the supreme blend for beef. Also really like the mesquite lumberjack for pork/chicken and it brings a good flavor.
    The cherry and apple I always have a bag around for something fun…
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

16. Member
    So far I have used Pit Boss Hickory and Competition blend and I'm happy with them. Walmart has a great price on 40 lb bags of Competition blend. I'm going to grab some apple for a chicken cook. Since chicken cooks fast, I think I'll do some with competition and some with the apple, just to taste the results.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

The best all around taste wise I have found is this.

https://www.academy.com/p/b-b-40-lb-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

18. Member
    That’s a pretty nice price on the B&B

I like Apple for all my meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The best all around taste wise I have found is this.

https://www.academy.com/p/b-b-40-lb-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a try next time I buy some.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.