2019 250 Pro XS won’t start

2019 4 stroke Mercury 250 L Pro XS V8
    Serial number: 2B640288
    2019 Ranger 520C
    5990 RPM WOT
    Fury 23 prop worked up by Mark

Series of events..

2 weeks ago fishing a tournament and at the end of the day, 2 miles from weigh-in I throw a blade on my fury 23” prop at 72 mph. All of a sudden I experienced heavy vibration. Immediately shut it down. Checked prop and saw what happened and idled into weigh in. There was a Merc tech on site and we pulled the bad prop and inspected the shaft etc and all appears to be ok. After the tournament was over I put on my spare 23” tempest and went back on the water. Boat ran great with zero vibration.

Got home, checked lower unit and no sign of water in lower unit. That was a relief at the time.

Last Friday I prefished for a club tournament happening on Saturday. This lake is a max 10 mph lake - idle only. Weedy lake. Lake elevation is 4,452’. Many stumps underwater in the lake most 4-8” diameter and mostly rotten. Not uncommon to bump one while idling around. In 25 years never had any issues with the stumps. Because of all the wood, stumps and logs I’ll often trim engine all the way up while on trolling motor. When idling I do trim up and run Hydraulic Jack plate all the way up. Water pressure is fine. Boat ran well Friday with spare prop.

Saturday, day of tournament - boat ran well again. About 10:30 am went to move to another area, boat wouldn’t start. It turns over but won’t fire up. Initial beep is heard. Smartcraft gauge says everything is ok. No alarms. Checked kill switch, went forward, reverse and back to neutral, nothing. Tried jump battery switch, nothing. After several failed attempts I thought maybe vapor lock… opened gas cap and engine fired right up. Turned it off again and it started. Tried several more times, all good. Ran smooth with no issues while I idled around.

About two hours later, same thing, engine won’t start. So, tried the gas cap again but not this time. Engine turns but won’t fire. After several failed attempts, I waved a boat over and got towed in by a Skeeter with a Yamaha. I bet they loved that. About 400 yards from the ramp I thought I’d try starting it again and it fired up. Unhooked the rope, thanked the two guys and idled into the ramp. Idled fine.

Once at the dock, turned engine off and retried - all good again. Tried several times. Each time it restarted. After weighing in, I started boat up and idled out a mile to release the fish. When I got to the release site, I got up and accidentally pulled the kill switch. Released the fish, reattached the kill switch went to restart the boat and once again - engine turns over but won’t fire. Fortunately there was another release boat there and he towed me in. Never could get it to restart. Winched the boat onto the trailer.

I was trying to figure out the issue. Thought maybe the high elevation. At home, lower elevation of 3,200’, I put duct tape over the lower unit nose water intake, hooked up the muffs to the garden hose and attached to the lower unit side water intake ports. Tried to start the engine and it still won’t start. When trying to start, the prop would turn which I thought was odd. What I did notice after turning power off and removing muffs - the prop won’t spin and acts like the lower unit is in gear. I remember before when I’d remove prop and check for line or switch props out, the shaft always spun freely while in neutral.

This is where I’m at. My dealer and best Merc Tech is 6 hours away. Was hoping for a simple fix but totally out of ideas at this point.

Not sure the vibration from the thrown blade caused damage and it took a while to surface or there are other issues and the thrown blade and engine not stating are just coincidental. If the shift actuator is going bad, will that keep engine from starting?

Thoughts???

Thank you very much for your time and assistance!

2. Member
    If the shift actuator is not aligned or out of spec the engine will not start if it determines the engine is in gear.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are a couple of "hints" in the Smart-Start system that may help narrow down the possibilities:

-Engine cranks 3 seconds and starter ceases to spin: No RPM signal noted by PCM.

-Engine cranks 7 seconds and starter ceases to spin: PCM saw an RPM signal, but the RPM's failed to increase (indicating it failed to start). ***

*** This scenario is most commonly a lack of fuel or fuel pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Is the smartcraft the same as a smart-start system and if so, how do I find this info?

-Engine cranks 3 seconds and starter ceases to spin: No RPM signal noted by PCM.

-Engine cranks 7 seconds and starter ceases to spin: PCM saw an RPM signal, but the RPM's failed to increase (indicating it failed to start).

and THANK YOU!!!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Smart-Start" is a PCM Program Feature of select engines.

"Smartcraft" is a line of instrumentation designed for Mercury engines that are equipped with Smartcraft Compatible PCM's.

Two totally different things.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you for clarifying!