Tunnel hull/jet boat guys

I was at a remote fishing lodge last week and the new head guide (young guy, never been in a jet boat) was telling me how they're going to use tunnel hulls next year to ferry fishermen up and down the river. The lodge owner lives on the west coast and he's sold on the idea. Everyone there had the same reaction, "it might work but I'll have to see it to believe it."

My only experience is from having spent a summer running 16-18' jon boats with jets on a gravel bottom river. That was a long time ago and I've never been in a tunnel hull. Maybe technology has changed the game since then. The reason for all the doubts is rocks. This isn't a gravel, sand, or mud bottom river--it's all rocks and boulders.

This picture is one of several "strainers" that are tough to get a canoe through without leaving paint behind. There's no real channels and the rocks tend to be 1'-3' across. I just don't see it. Anyone have a positive experiences running any form of jet on a river like this?

PXL_20220714_182035933.jpg

2. Member
    I dont see it.

3. idbefishing
    A tunnel jet set up and couple more inches of water, totally feasible with an experienced driver.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    A tunnel jet set up and couple more inches of water, totally feasible with an experienced driver.
    I'd take a jet up through there with a little more water too but that's pretty normal flow (maybe even a little high for this time of year). They had heavy rains the previous week and it dropped a good 6-8" just in the time we were there.

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    yea that looks like it may be a tad tough to do..
    how do they ferry fishermen up and down the river now?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

6. Moderator
    They need to look at Rockproofs with the uhmw bottom instead of the tunnel hull.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    yea that looks like it may be a tad tough to do..
    how do they ferry fishermen up and down the river now?
    They have 2 Polaris Rangers to transport gear from the bay to the lodge (3 miles) plus anyone who doesn't have the mobility. Everyone else hikes in. They then use the Rangers daily to take sports up to 1.5 mi downstream from the lodge. There's no UTV trails upstream from the lodge so you walk. All those rocks and boulders are rough on the Rangers though. One was out of commission for a broken axle. The other was leaking coolant and prone to overheating if they couldn't keep it topped-off. Me (being in decent shape compared to others in the party) spent a lot of time hoofing it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    They need to look at Rockproofs with the uhmw bottom instead of the tunnel hull.
    Googling now

9. Member
    There’s no way I would run that and I spend a lot of time in a custom tunnel that’s built like a tank. Sounds like you would be better off to ditch the side by sides and find some 4 seat rock crawlers on one ton axles.

10. Member
    They might be getting one of those. The guide who knows nothing about the boats was describing some sort of super tough hull that acts like a skid plate but he didn't know what it was called. Even if it doesn't destroy the boat, it's gonna be a rough ride IMO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    They might be getting one of those. The guide who knows nothing about the boats was describing some sort of super tough hull that acts like a skid plate but he didn't know what it was called. Even if it doesn't destroy the boat, it's gonna be a rough ride IMO

https://www.jetstreamboats.com/

UHMW is a plastic similar to what is used for cutting boards. Essentially is a sacrificial piece that gets destroyed so the hull isn’t damaged as bad.

apparently you can’t share YouTube videos to the forum. Look up “mini boat mafia”

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    My dad had one for several years. They are extremely tough and made to run through stuff like you posted. You are correct that it will be rough and bumpy on the passengers however.

13. Member
    I think most of the air boats in the south have this on the bottom of the hull.

14. Member
    I've run jets for over 20 years on a variety of rivers. With more water, a jet will totally work. At the level in the picture, nope, she's a bit too skinny and rocky. An inboard jet with a tunnel is the way to go though. Someone has already mentioned a Rockproof. Those are a tank of a boat!

15. Member
    That made my old back hurt just watching that !