Water in Fuel Suzuki DF115SS/ Fuel/water separator

Ok so the engine mounted fuel water separator has alarmed on me twice in the last week or so. Not a hard problem to fix in the driveway but I’d hate to do it on the water.

Do any of you guys know if it’s possible to mount a larger size separator with this motor? I have plenty of room to mount one in my bilge/battery compartment.

Edit to add; one of the Guys in the Vexus forum suggested a Racor filter with a bottom drain. I quickly googled them and they are sized by gph. Any ideas on what size would work on the DF115SS?
    Last edited by BigEasy; 07-25-2022 at 06:22 PM.

2. Member
    I believe the 30 gph would suffice and no need for the bigger filter.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    It is, in my opinion, absolutely essential to run a Racor style filter between the tank and the engine on all boats.

Modern efi engines do not like water or other contaminants in their fuel.

It becomes very expensive to clean out vst’s, fuel rails and replace damaged electronic fuel pumps and engine filters when this can largely be avoided by fitting one of those RACOR filters and checking it occasionally.

Replace the element every 100hrs or thereabouts. Not to mention the dramas caused when the engine wont run and you are out fishing somewhere.

Every single member of my fishing club runs them on their boats, typically use the larger sized ones on any engines above about 60hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    It is, in my opinion, absolutely essential to run a Racor style filter between the tank and the engine on all boats.

Modern efi engines do not like water or other contaminants in their fuel.

It becomes very expensive to clean out vst’s, fuel rails and replace damaged electronic fuel pumps and engine filters when this can largely be avoided by fitting one of those RACOR filters and checking it occasionally.

Replace the element every 100hrs or thereabouts. Not to mention the dramas caused when the engine wont run and you are out fishing somewhere.

Every single member of my fishing club runs them on their boats, typically use the larger sized ones on any engines above about 60hp.
    Good advice. Do you have a recommendation as to GPH capacity I would need for the 115SS?

5. Member
    I run the large size RACOR on my DF115.

This one, although you could get by with the smaller one, this is the one that pretty well everyone uses. If you can fit in in, get this larger one.

https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/pro...105-20005-asy/

There are similar/equivalent brands, Racor prices have skyrocketed in recent years. I get a Suzuki branded element from my dealer for about $25.

Thanks.

That one clearly states good for 150hp and up. I’ll pull the trigger on it shortly. Just have to figure out what kind of brackets I’ll need to get it installed.

7. Member
    Saw this and had to chime in. Last month 6/15/22 on the way 6 hours N of home I topped off my Suzuki DF90 on my Alumacraft 185T. I launched went say 150 yards and the motor quit and would not restart. Three beeps I had a signal so I googled it - water in fuel. Luckily our host knew a guy about a half hour away certified Suzuki repair. He got us in that afternoon and out the next morning and saved the week. My boat has the separate fuel filter a large oil filter sized one. $469 including $120 for disposal for bad gas and about $115 to refuel. The OEM one and the replacement one do not have the clear bowl and drain my fall service will include the Racor. Thanks.

8. Member
    This is great info. The 2016 250SS that is on the '08 Ranger Z520 that I just bought doesn't have a water separator and I am planning on installing one. I was just going to start researching which one to install. Thanks!
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom