Keep Blowing Trailer Reverse Fuse

So I have a 2011 Tahoe, and it has a trailer reverse fuse under the hood. Problem is I keep blowing this fuse from time to time. It seems like it will work fine for a couple trips, then the next time out it will blow the fuse when truck is put into reverse. I've replaced the 10 amp fuse it came with to a 20, and even 30 and it still blows. I guess my question is does anybody have a good way to isolate if the short is on the trailer or if there's a problem with the truck side/plug??? I'm assuming I have a short somewhere anyway....... TIA

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You are going to damage something with a larger fuse in there.

Just look around the tongue. The blue wire has probably gotten pinched in the actuator.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Sure sounds like an intermittent short. Which are the worst kind to run down.
    I would start on the trailer simply because your truck only does it while hooked up.
    Start at the front and visually inspect as much of the blue wire as possible. Like CatFan says check the actuator area and the foldaway tongue (if applicable) those areas would be most suspect.
    Then work your way back paying special attention to any place it goes through the frame.
    Had a turn signal short once that was inside a tube frame trailer.

4. Member
    Can you use an ohm meter to read which or if a wire is going to ground?

5. Member
    I had the same problem. Ended up being a bad spot in the wire insulation inside the trailer frame. It was in a straight stretch of frame too, not at any of the lights where the wires come out of the frame. I couldn’t pull the wire out to inspect it either be it was bonded to the other trailer wires in the harness. I spliced in a jumper wire to go around the bad spot and it solved it.

Edit to add: I found the location of my short by hooking the truck and trailer up and jiggling wires inside the trailer at every access point I could find until I could make the fuse blow on command.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Yes sir. so long as it's grounded at the time of testing.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    It’s the blue wire and it’s only a couple of feet long unless you have backup lights on the trailer.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Thanks everybody.
    I do have trailer back up lights, so I'm assuming the problem must be with one of the reverse lights on the trailer or the blue wire up front right?

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gravenhof View Post
    Thanks everybody.
    I do have trailer back up lights, so I'm assuming the problem must be with one of the reverse lights on the trailer or the blue wire up front right?
    All the same circuit.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Yes sir. so long as it's grounded at the time of testing.
    Not necessarily true, the backup solenoid (coil) could show up as a very low impedance to ground.
    Last edited by blkfalc4; 07-25-2022 at 04:08 PM.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

11. Member
    Put a new wiring harness on the trailer, problem solved and go back to q 10 amp fuse. Use shrink tubing on the wire and solder the connections.
    Last edited by bpicinc; 07-25-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

You don’t mention what trailer you have but I had the same problem with my Ranger trailer. Drove me crazy but I finally found it.
    The wiring insulation was worn through on the outside wire by (I guess) blowing around in the wind when driving down the road. As it happens, the outside wire is the blue one if you have backup lights, and mine were worn to some degree at every washer and several were completely worn through. Easy fix though.
    Really weird, but thought it would be worthwhile to pass on.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    You don’t mention what trailer you have but I had the same problem with my Ranger trailer. Drove me crazy but I finally found it.
    The wiring insulation was worn through on the outside wire by (I guess) blowing around in the wind when driving down the road. As it happens, the outside wire is the blue one if you have backup lights, and mine were worn to some degree at every washer and several were completely worn through. Easy fix though.
    Really weird, but thought it would be worthwhile to pass on.

Looks like Ranger welded washers to act as cable guides but didn't treat them as a bulkhead and didn't use grommets. Worked for a while until Nature took its course and shorted the wires.
    Anyhow find the blue or purple wire going to the reverse solenoid. Find out where it branches from the solenoid to the back up lights, and cut the wire to the lights in a place you can easily splice it back together. Put the correct fuse back in. If it doesn't blow after a trip or two you pretty well know where your issue is.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 07-26-2022 at 07:29 AM.

14. Member
    Ya, forgot to mention it's an 03 Easy Loader Trailer under a Skeeter. Tube style so who knows what's going on inside there. I'll go back and recheck everything I can see, and if all else fails I guess rewire. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

15. Member
    Ya, forgot to mention it's an 03 Easy Loader Trailer under a Skeeter. Tube style so who knows what's going on inside there. I'll go back and recheck everything I can see, and if all else fails I guess rewire.
    03 eh.

Just rewire everything and be done with it.

Every connection and every inch of wire (wear through) is suspect at that age.

Good Luck

ps.. Do yourself a favor and run a white ground wire down each tube and skip any frame grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    03 eh.

Just rewire everything and be done with it.

Every connection and every inch of wire (wear through) is suspect at that age.

Good Luck

ps.. Do yourself a favor and run a white ground wire down each tube and skip any frame grounds.

17. Member
    You can run a new blue wire all the way back near the back up lights. I had to get a cheap wire fish from Harbor Freight to run my new wire down inside the frame, make sure you use butt connectors with heat shrink on them to keep water out of the new connection. Never ever put in bigger fuses if you have a short you cause so much damage and could start a fire!!