Setups review- less is more?

As I get back into bass fishing, looking for feedback on any 'holes' you see in my lineup. One thing I want to do is limit my rods to 3 (maybe 4)* so looking to get adequate coverage. We fish open water in NC- no weeds, lilys, grass... so no punching, flipping/pitching, frogging.

1. CNQ 842s w/Stella FJ 2500
    2. CNQ 844c w/Met XG
    3. CNQ 905c w/Bantam

Toying with getting an 843c and dropping the 905c. Not sure if that gets me anything besides going lighter. Use the 905c for Magdrafts, 3/4oz and up jigs, etc. Or just keeping these three, LOL.

For a 'finesse' spinning setup I have a Cashion MedLight 7' spinning w/Luvius 3000LT. I have 14# Sniper on the Met and 16# Sniper on the Bantam. I most likely will put some 30# braid on the Met to give me more versatility (top water, etc.).

Any advice welcome, thanks!

*we have a center console so have places for 13 rods but that leaves a lot of poles standing up (not ideal with 2 or 3 anglers).

2. Member
    Because I decided to do the majority of my fishing from a kayak this season, I have reduced my rods/reels down to 4 combos, all baitcasting. I have a 6'8" ML, a 6'10 MH, a 7'3" MH+, and a 7'2" H. All of my rods are multi-purpose tapers that give them more flexibility in what I can throw on them. My combination of rods give me the ability to throw everything I will need or want to throw. However, a 6" Magdraft Freestyle is the largest bait I throw and I don't throw hardly any finesse stuff (ned rigs, dropshots). I throw a lot of 1/4 - 1/2 oz baits. I throw straight braid or braid to flourocarbon leader. Looking at your 3 setups, I personally would probably prefer an 843 over the 844 since I throw lighter baits more, but you've definitely gone the right route by having MBR tapered rods which are very versatile. Not knowing all of the baits you throw, I can't say for sure that you don't have any holes in your lineup, but the three rods you listed will give you a lot of flexibility to throw most everything from finesse baits up to 6-7 inch swimbaits. If you decide to go with a 4th combo, I'd get a 7'0 - 7'6" M+ or MH rod simply to fill in between your M spinning rod and your H 844.

3. Moderator
    The gap is see would be the need for a rod to throw treble hook moving baits..crank baits, topwater, etc...Braid on an 844 would not be very forgiving...My fave would be the old school CBR 845 (could go IMX Pro), since you're fishing Loomis...
    Steve