Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooler is awful...

Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance of the cooler in the boat in my signature? It is not nearly as good as the one in my previous boat (2015 Phoenix). It appears the lid is insulated but it doesn't "latch" like the other lids and there doesn't appear to be any type of bulb seal either. This is my first Triton and I've determined that a lot of things on this boat are not like they were from the factory. Just curious if the missing seal and latch arm are the main cause of it cooler just isnt very good.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    No seal or latch. Always plug the cooler to keep the melting ice water in the cooler. That helps keep ice longer.

3. Member
    I have a 2005 TR20X. The cooler lid has a seal and the lid latches. I would add both because I think they will definitely help your situation and it would be a pretty cheap fix. Under the lid, add one or two layers of the insulation below. I did mine with mounting tape. Makes a world of difference. Hope this info helps.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011904

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to install new lid seals for everything else so I thought it probably couldn't hurt for the cooler. The Phoenix had a latching lid, seal and thicker lid insulation so I think I'll incorporate the all the suggestions above.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

5. Member
    Iput a block of frozen blue ice in my cooler and it keeps ice all day.20 TRX

6. Member
    Not the answer you're looking for but throwing in a few bottles of frozen water helps greatly

7. Member
    I'll try the blue ice/frozen water bottles as well. I fished a tourney Saturday (highs in the mid 90s) and lost all the ice by a little after noon. The drinks were getting warm by 1:30. Hopefully I can get it better, warm water isn't as good as cold water on a hot day.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

8. Member
    Use a few frozen water bottles and make sure your drinks are cold when you put them in. I've had 10 tritons, did this in summer on all of them

9. Member
    Add ice packs

10. Member
    Bring a separate cooler with you. Tritons coolers are notoriously awful. I finally started bringing a backpack cooler with me on trips and use the cooler as a trash can now.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

11. Member
    Duracraftman - that's my plan if the other stuff doesn't work out. Hate having to bring along a cooler but it's better than hot drinks at 1:30 in the afternoon...
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Don't have one of these boats, but can you put a cooler inside your built-in boat cooler? Just for more insulation and better sealing, even if it is a soft sided one?
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

13. Member
    Another thing you can do which helps tremendously is to ice your cooler down the day before your outing. Get the temperature down in your cooler and your ice will last longer on derby day.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmanucr View Post
    I have a 2005 TR20X. The cooler lid has a seal and the lid latches. I would add both because I think they will definitely help your situation and it would be a pretty cheap fix. Under the lid, add one or two layers of the insulation below. I did mine with mounting tape. Makes a world of difference. Hope this info helps.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011904
    This is what I used in mine. I cut it so everything was snug and I didn't have to use mounting tape. I didn't want water getting trapped behind it. I put a layer on the bottom, then I wrapped a layer all the way around the sides. The side layer sits on top of the bottom layer to hold it in place. I had to cut a small hole for the drain plug. It made a BIG difference BUT, it still leaves a lot to be desired.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

15. Member
    I have a new seal and lid latch also the thick black closed cell insulation like on the livewell lids on my cooler. During the summer I use two of the frozen cooler packs and it is sufficient for me. These older coolers are definitely not a high performance cooler, but the rest of the boat is great.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

16. Member
    I got the bulb seal installed. The insulation on the lid was in good shape and seemed to be stuck pretty good so I left it. Took the boat out yesterday for about 6 hours and it held ice, much better than before. I'm looking for something to plug the small drain hole as well. Seems like it'll be serviceable at this point.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

17. Member
    I use a small drain plug for the hole in cooler. Could use a small rubber plug from hardware store.

18. Member
    I use a tapered wine bottle stopper and it works great.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    Don't have one of these boats, but can you put a cooler inside your built-in boat cooler? Just for more insulation and better sealing, even if it is a soft sided one?

I put a soft side Bison cooler into the built in cooler - Tr -20. Also use frozen water bottles.

Any remaining still frozen after a full day in africa heat.

20. Member
    I’m surprised by these replies. I have a 2016 20 TRX and a small bag of ice will last the day in 90+ degree days. I even use some of the ice for my yeti cup. I had a 02 before this and cooler was great also. My buddies 06 ranger it would last maybe 5-6 hrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast