How easy to install gatorbaks?

Hi looking to replace my bunks and would like to switch to gatorbaks. My question is how challenging are these for the mechanically challenged to install on the 2x6? Haven't seen a good video showing the installation process and I'm hoping they are relatively straight forward

Easier than doing carpet !! Even a challenged person should be able to do them. Just need a Drill/Screw Gun and a Box Knife.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    The instructions are rather straightforward, and you will be proud of your work. They really look good. Don't do it without a power screwdriver/screw gun/battery operated drill and a GOOD #2 Philips bit.

4. Member
    Really easy to install, buy some black stain and stain the boards ahead of time.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. mikesxpress
    Contact Jonathan at Gatorbak and he can provide you with video links/guidance.

jvanmeter@gatorbak.com

Easy to install. My brother and I installed them on our boats. Hardest part was figuring out how to suspend our boats in order to get the trailers out from under them to do the work since we are not that close to a lake. That was nerve racking.

7. Member
    Super easy to install with a drill and good philips bit but I had square bunks and didn't have to do any work with a router to round the edges off. I made the bunks up ahead of time as I needed new boards anyway, launched and let the wife sit on the boat while I replaced the boards on the trailer.

8. Scraps
    Easy. Boat dependent you may have to buy a rounding over bit and use it on the boards. What I did, measured my bunks, got the lumber, prepped them with the router, painted them black, put the gatorbaks on the boards, drive to lake, dunk boat, remove old bunks, install new bunks, done. Only thing else you may have to consider is the condition of your hardware. My bunks are lagged from the bottom and trailer was new at the time. IMHO it's not worth the aggravation of reusing the old bunk boards.

A cordless impact makes it easy.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Well personally its not as easy as carpet and a staple gun, but its not that much more. Screws instead of staples. like stated above prep the boards and install them at the ramp.

My truck bed worked well when installing gatorbacks on the boards.

A great investment for your boat.

In fact fixing to call Jonathan and order a new set for my next boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    What’s honest pros and cons of Gatorbacks?

11. mikesxpress
    Randy I've had Gatorbak bunks on my Z21 Intracoastal boat longer than anyone on here (2015). The latest XP generation of the bunks allows for power loading and comes with a 3 year warranty. My suggestion is to replace the boards with KDAT lumber and new SS hardware. You should never have to fool with your bunks again.

Easy to load/unload. If you launch/load in the dark, a lighted option is available which requires routing the boards to accept the LED light strips. If you have any questions PM me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/OE_OSw442zA?feature=share
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-03-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    What’s honest pros and cons of Gatorbacks?
    When u first get the gatorback XPs that tend to be bit sticky. I learned to wipe them down with a spray wax every once in awhile. And only the first few months.
    I always practice dunking my boards and pulling back up to the correct load height.
    Maybe a con is u prolly want to paint the boards since the material only covers 3 sides unlike carpet, u'll see the wood if u don't.

I live 5 minutes from the boat ramp, when I launch there and come home my garage would have puddles of water from the bunks. With gatorbaks this is non existent,
    Which helps prevent hull blisters.

Carpet will hold sand and debris and eventually becomes sand paper carpet. Gatorbaks will not do this.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. mikesxpress