2013 zx20 w250 SHO?

Hey guys looking into a 13 zx20 that a friend has. He hardly uses it so I'm expecting some pretty low hours on it. What should I look for? Is there any issues with that year and model I should look for? Dual PP blades, HDS 10's, Ultrex 112. What do yall ballpark a good price for it?

How many hours on the motor and how many hours at idle?

I’ve always been sketched out by older boats that have really low hours. One of the best things you can do for an outboard is to run it. Also, how many hours at idle? SHOs like to be run hard
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    I own a 2012 ZX20. Best riding boat Skeeter made in my opinion. There are no issues with that boat that I am aware of and I have NO complaints. I would have someone check out the motor if you can't do it yourself (compression check, hours check etc.).

Other than obvious things like motor check and hull damage - I would suggest going over all the screws/torx on the deck and latches, console trim, switch housings, etc and see if any missing or stripped. Also check Transom Torque Transfer bracket, make sure tight and no cracks/issues. Sounds like he made some upgrades so would look over PP mounting ie any new holes drilled or odd hose or wiring issues, and check pump mounts.

5. Member
    10-4 I will update after i give it a once over.

6. Member
    Check the oil level first thing with the engine level, if it's above full I would suspect it to be making oil which could be an issue, If not and with lower hrs it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbill View Post
    Check the oil level first thing with the engine level, if it's above full I would suspect it to be making oil which could be an issue, If not and with lower hrs it should be fine.
    From what I was told from my local Skeeter rep is that all SHO’s “make oil” which is actually fuel leaking past the piston rings. Usually at around 100hrs it will stop leaking by because the rings have finally set.

Quote Originally Posted by badbasser View Post
    From what I was told from my local Skeeter rep is that all SHO’s “make oil” which is actually fuel leaking past the piston rings. Usually at around 100hrs it will stop leaking by because the rings have finally set.
    Many believe due is mainly to Yamaha's break in procedures, which advocate a longer period of half/less than full throttle (10 hours), vs Mercury's method of 2 hours of low and slow, then run the heck out of it to heat the motor up and set those rings. Using Merc method should seat the rings quicker thus negate the making oil issues of the SHO's. Of course, there's that pesky warranty to worry about

9. Member
    So quick update. The owner is estimating maybe 200hrs on the motor. Upgrades include dual 8ft blade pp, hds 12&10 gen 2, fortrex 101, pretty new batteries, spare prop. Boat is pretty spotless other than a few gel coat specs. The owner wants $35k but I feel like it should be more like $32-$33. We are gonna take it And run it this week. I’ve started the bank process to see what interest rates are like right now. He did say it had made a little oil in the past but never had to do anything with it.

10. Member
    Sounds like a nice boat for the price. Maybe I’ve missed some things but I just got a boat and have been looking for a while. That seems like a good price to me for that year and that engine.

11. Member
    It only has 137hrs