Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery decision for P2

It's been a year, and it finally happened. Running three graphs and livescope and decided to keep some fish, so has the livewell running. After about 4 hours, my pro xs would not start. I shut everything off and waited couple minutes, and it barely started. Ran to the landing, got on trailer, then tried again and no go. And this is being really anal about sleeping the two console graphs while the engine isn't running.

So, been debating whether to add a house battery or just get one of the larger lithium crank batteries people have had success with. Adding a battery, while cheaper, brings in charging and set up issues. I already have a Noco port plug, so I could just change it out for their double then get a small single bank just for that battery. OTOH, the single crank battery would be so much easier, and one is on sale right now. My mind is close to made up, but wanted to get this board's thoughts.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

2. Member
    I have the big northstar. Though I was not having issues I new it was going to kill the northstar prematurely. I added a lithum house battery and added a on water supplemental charge per Don at European Marine.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

3. Member
    I have a X2 AGM with an Impulse Lithium attached and a 36v Impulse Lithium with the charge on the run charger. I’m running 4 Garmin 12in graphs and Livescope and Garmin 36v TM. When I’m out all day I’m on the TM most the time and I leave all the graphs on so my partner can use the 2 at the console. The lowest I’ve been is down to 75% on the 36v and 50% on the 12v lithium that is attached to the X2…so my X2 is always at 100%. Give Bill at Impulse a call and he will hook you up if you want to go that route.

4. Member
    This is my set up and it works great!20220209_180135.jpg
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    This is my set up and it works great!20220209_180135.jpg
    How much do you charge?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

6. Member
    It wasn't that bad of a job. I piddled with it mainly. On my boat I did remove my saddle tank in which never had fuel in it. The way I layed it out if I ever decide to add a 3rd battery for my troller I can. I will say the impulse is a great battery. I did contact Don(European) and ask his recommendations for doing what it was trying to accomplish. I purchased all from him as far as the battery isolater pertains. I wanted a safe way to charge on the water without killing the alternator. I done all the work myself in the evenings over a 2 week time frame just taking my time. Some days I didn't fool with it,like I stated (just piddling). If your a DYI kinda guy it's easy peezy. The way it's all hooked up you can use any battery (agm, lead acid or lithum) for the house battery. I did purchace the 120 ah cranker just in case of a emergency on the water for jumping if the need arised. Untill mercury gives there blessing 100 %, I just wasn't ready to go with lithum for a cranker, even though many have.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

7. Member
    I'd say go with the 125 amp hour ionic. Fished my first tournament with it a couple weekends ago. 3 graphs (106sv/LS, 9" Carbon and 12" HDS), recirc on all day since it was hot, Raptors were up and down a ton...I ran to an area only maybe a mile from the ramp and didn't start my big motor again until I ran back in and I was at 73% when I got home after the tournament.

I went to lithiums on my Sabre FTD. Ionic 125ah cranker and 2 - 50ah TM batteries. I can fish all day with livewells and electronics running, and still over 90% SOC. The performance difference is amazing with the weight reduction in the stern. Draft is much shallower. You can expect similar results with your P2. Sorry some of the pictures may be sideways.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....386&highlight=
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I ended up going with the Ionic 125. One of the reasons had to do with the terminals. I absolutely hate the kind with a bolt. Well, this caused me a temporary install issue, as almost none of my wring would fit the positive post. I was lucky to find I had previously ordered expanders, and I drilled out the positive one to fit the post. The neg fit fine.

After one trip, I found that I am using the crank battery more than my two trollers. That's assuming the shunt monitor on my Amped batteries is accurate. When I got back, I was showing 93% vs. 81% on the Ionic. So question for the Lithium crank crowd-how low does one let the crank battery get before charging? I ask because my three batteries are on one 3 bank PC charger.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

PMantle, the Ionic 125ah has been enough to run my two HDS units, livewells, etc., all day without coming close to being spent. In your case, with 3 graphs and LS plus your other accessories you may find the drawdown on the cranker to be quite a bit. Or more than you’re comfortable with. A house battery may be a must. I’m in the process of purchasing and installing two Garmin EchoMaps, LS+, and a Rite Hite turret. I’ll be adding a Powerhouse 16v 48ah or another Ionic 50ah.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    I am not really displeased with 81%. Also, the manual states this may get better with use. I rarely fish more than 6 hours, so I think this will be fine.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    PMantle, the Ionic 125ah has been enough to run my two HDS units, livewells, etc., all day without coming close to being spent. In your case, with 3 graphs and LS plus your other accessories you may find the drawdown on the cranker to be quite a bit. Or more than you’re comfortable with. A house battery may be a must. I’m in the process of purchasing and installing two Garmin EchoMaps, LS+, and a Rite Hite turret. I’ll be adding a Powerhouse 16v 48ah or another Ionic 50ah.
    Be sure to check out our 16v-60ah if you decide to go that route

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I ended up going with the Ionic 125. One of the reasons had to do with the terminals. I absolutely hate the kind with a bolt. Well, this caused me a temporary install issue, as almost none of my wring would fit the positive post. I was lucky to find I had previously ordered expanders, and I drilled out the positive one to fit the post. The neg fit fine.

After one trip, I found that I am using the crank battery more than my two trollers. That's assuming the shunt monitor on my Amped batteries is accurate. When I got back, I was showing 93% vs. 81% on the Ionic. So question for the Lithium crank crowd-how low does one let the crank battery get before charging? I ask because my three batteries are on one 3 bank PC charger.
    You went against the manufacturer’s requirements to not use a lithium battery for cranking!? The next thing you know you will be using a Motor Mate!

In all seriousness, the 81% lithium is still providing 100% to the cranking motor. They provide 100% until they die. IMO, You are just fine with that Ionic 120.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    You went against the manufacturer’s requirements to not use a lithium battery for cranking!? The next thing you know you will be using a Motor Mate!

I did. I mean, the language used by Merc is a joke. And no, I plan to keep this boat a long time, so I will not be passing off the damage caused by a Motor mate to another owner. I'd rather not have my fiberglass guy deal with motor mount issues down the road.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

I understand. If the manufacturers recommendation matches your preconceived notion of what is best, it is gospel. If not, it is a joke. Got it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I understand. If the manufacturers recommendation matches your preconceived notion of what is best, it is gospel. If not, it is a joke. Got it.
    This could not be farther from the truth. I did not even know lithium batteries existed until recently. I have always known how big of a lie motor toters are. Such a weak and lame post dude.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

17. Member
    I did. I mean, the language used by Merc is a joke. And no, I plan to keep this boat a long time, so I will not be passing off the damage caused by a Motor mate to another owner. I'd rather not have my fiberglass guy deal with motor mount issues down the road.
    what’s wrong with a motor mate? Serious question. Lol want to know because I’m considering purchasing one.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund_Adventurer View Post
    what’s wrong with a motor mate? Serious question. Lol want to know because I’m considering purchasing one.
    Lots of threads on here about it. I really don't want to rehash everything in this thread. Just search this forum for "saver".
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

19. Member
    Lots of threads on here about it. I really don't want to rehash everything in this thread. Just search this forum for "saver".
    I have and it’s often a heated debate. I wasn’t sure if it was sarcasm in the comments between you and 06 SB but are you against motor mates? If so what damage?

20. Member
    I will just repost a post from Basscat Boats here:

From Basscat:

"A simpler view is a transom support creates a large triangle using the trailer to tie or end support, and remove stress of trailering from motor mounts. Trailers don't move independently of the boat when they are secured.

Shorter quick use supports only tie the trim unit to the center pivot (saddle) and the engine itself floats on motor mounts, while the transom is not supported further with what can be a maximum from 700 to near 1,000 pounds of weight hanging on the transoms today. Power poles, pole brackets, hydraulic plates, engines from 540 (dry) to the largest four strokes. Lots of weight back there.

Just look at the increased amount of motor mount issues today to realize there are different issues, though similar originations."
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast