Idle Mixture Screw - Help!

I'm cleaning my carbs on my 2003 Yamaha VMAX 150 (V150TLRB) and had a question about the idle mixture screws. The factory service manual states that they should be 1 1/4 turns, but is that from a tight seated position or a "light" seated position? This is my main area of concern, I'm not sure what 1 1/4 turns means (from tight or light seated position)

When I took them down, I noticed that they were around 4.5 turns from the tightly seated position, which seemed pretty open. The whole reason I'm cleaning the carbs is because the motor doesn't idle at the 700 +/- 25 RPMs that it should. Motor runs great on the top end, just doesn't like to idle.

I did find that one of the mixture screws was completely worn down to a nub, all the others look fine. I'm betting that has something to do with low idle.

Thanks for any and all replies!

2. Member
    The screw is turned in until it is lightly seated. The point where it just comes to a stop. Don't turn it any further. Then turn the screw backwards the specified number of turns.

Over tightening the screw can damage the tip of it. The part that fuel needs to flow around.

3. Member
    Thank you!