Fluorocarbon fishing line

I have tried and tried to use fluorocarbon line and I hate it.
    The line twist is 3x more than using mono.
    To the point it is completely frustrating.
    Even using it as a long leader from braid it gives me more trouble than mono.

I have tried every trick I know. Soaking the line, using conditioner, Spooling the correct way.
    Is there any thing else I can try?

I'm old lol, I grew up using mono and never had even half the trouble I do with fluoro.
    I understand it can get my lures down a little deeper and it transfers feeling better plus less stretch.
    Frankly I only see a slight amount of better feeling.
    In my eyes a little stretch is a good thing when landing fish.
    I have lost more fish on average with fluoro than mono.
    Maybe that comes from 50 + yrs of fishing mono I am just more in tune with it.
    I am at the point I want to go back to mainly straight mono and braid to mono.
    As far as depth I will adjust with heavier and deeper diving lures.
    Hel me out here or rip me a new one. Either way maybe I will learn something with this post.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

2. Member
    Your not alone. Lots of guys say exactly what you are. I know one of the worlds best finesse fisherman doesn’t use it. All I can say is I used it in 1990, had ups and downs and learned right away the more conditioners And stuff the less I could trust the line. So I use 100% flouro that is a little stiff, very abrasion resistant. I use it on casting, flippin, not ever as a spinning main line. I literally have no problems with it. I crank, blade, jigs, flip with it. On spinning I use a braid main line and light flouro leader. Again no problem. I don’t know what your doing different. But honestly if I was you I’d go back to mono.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Creek123 View Post
    Your not alone. Lots of guys say exactly what you are. I know one of the worlds best finesse fisherman doesn’t use it. All I can say is I used it in 1990, had ups and downs and learned right away the more conditioners And stuff the less I could trust the line. So I use 100% flouro that is a little stiff, very abrasion resistant. I use it on casting, flippin, not ever as a spinning main line. I literally have no problems with it. I crank, blade, jigs, flip with it. On spinning I use a braid main line and light flouro leader. Again no problem. I don’t know what your doing different. But honestly if I was you I’d go back to mono.
    I do a lot of finesse fishing. That has to be my main problem with fluoro.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

I assume you're using it on a spinning reel. The smaller the Reel, the more likely to have line twist. Sorta like a "Slinky" !! Try using a GOOD 8-10lb Fluorocarbon, I use YoZuri Top Knot, along with a 15-20lb Braid. I use Power Pro. After tying, reel on 2 rod lengths of Fluoro, cut, then pull it back off to where the knot is a foot or two past the rod tip. Let it lay on the ground or in the water if you're on the lake. Next wind it back on to the reel holding it between your fingers to keep it tight. If you're Drop Shoting, it will have a tendency to Spin when you retrieve it. Slower is better. I'll even just hold the rod tip just high enough to get the bait our of the water and let any twist unwind every once in a while. Also, never close the bail using the handle, always use your hand to close it. Any time I re-tie, I'll strip the line off to the Rod tip again and wind it back on as before.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I assume you're using it on a spinning reel. The smaller the Reel, the more likely to have line twist. Sorta like a "Slinky" !! Try using a GOOD 8-10lb Fluorocarbon, I use YoZuri Top Knot, along with a 15-20lb Braid. I use Power Pro. After tying, reel on 2 rod lengths of Fluoro, cut, then pull it back off to where the knot is a foot or two past the rod tip. Let it lay on the ground or in the water if you're on the lake. Next wind it back on to the reel holding it between your fingers to keep it tight. If you're Drop Shoting, it will have a tendency to Spin when you retrieve it. Slower is better. I'll even just hold the rod tip just high enough to get the bait our of the water and let any twist unwind every once in a while. Also, never close the bail using the handle, always use your hand to close it. Any time I re-tie, I'll strip the line off to the Rod tip again and wind it back on as before.
    My reels are 3000 size reels. I use 10lb braid with either 8 or 10 lb YoZuri fluorocarbon leader normally around 18 ft.
    We have clear water where I live in Pa for many lakes.
    I have a reel or two with straight fluoro that is a nightmare in itself.
    I do drop shot and use swimbaits a lot. The lake I fish mainly likes a slow retrieve even in the hot summer months.
    I have run the line behind the boat to get some twist out but it seems fluoro has much more memory than mono in my opinion.
    I do close the bail by hand. Even on my bait caster the memory on the fluoro drive me crazy it is subject to putting micro loops in my reel that if I don't notice will make a cast which ends up 10ft in front of the boat. lol
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

6. Member
    I dont use braid to leader ,just dont like it.Anything under 12 lb I prefer mono.Trilene XL has way stronger knot strength than light floro.12 -20 I like floro except topwater.65 lb braid straight to frog and buzzbaits .Mono for spooks.

If you're using anything over about 6 or maybe 8 lb fluoro spooled up on a spinning reel, you're going to be miserable. Even then it's going to be worse-behaved than mono in the same size. That's one reason why so many have gone to braid-to-leader setups on spinning reels. A drop shot with straight fluoro sounds like some kind of torture. I can't imagine how obnoxious that would be!

I use KVD Line and Lure on my heavier casting reels I have spooled up with fluoro. Spray it down the night before a fishing trip and it makes a huge difference the next day. Gently stretching it works too. Just don't yank on it hard enough to get near the breaking point, else you can damage the line.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by jgiljr View Post
    My reels are 3000 size reels. I use 10lb braid with either 8 or 10 lb YoZuri fluorocarbon leader normally around 18 ft.
    We have clear water where I live in Pa for many lakes.
    I have a reel or two with straight fluoro that is a nightmare in itself.
    I do drop shot and use swimbaits a lot. The lake I fish mainly likes a slow retrieve even in the hot summer months.
    I have run the line behind the boat to get some twist out but it seems fluoro has much more memory than mono in my opinion.
    I do close the bail by hand. Even on my bait caster the memory on the fluoro drive me crazy it is subject to putting micro loops in my reel that if I don't notice will make a cast which ends up 10ft in front of the boat. lol
    Before I started using braid to floro, I would the night before or that morning that I was going fishing, I'd tie on a large hook and hook it to a post, or any wood and then walk off about 20-30 yrds. Then close the bail and slowly pull and stretch short of breaking, and hold it for a minute. Then walk back a little further and do it again. Maybe even a third time, then reel it back keeping tension on it. This worked really well in most cases, especially on straight floro and mono.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgiljr View Post

I do drop shot and use swimbaits a lot.
    6lb sniper/tatsu for your finesse swimbaits, PE0.6 or 0.8 (highly recommend YGK Upgrade x8) to 8 - 10lb leader for your DS.

Leave 1/8" gap to spool on your fluoro setup.

You can pull a lot harder on straight 6lb fluoro than you think, and I don't know about you but finesse swimbaits are open water baits for me.

10. Member
    I recently added a size 14 Owner barrel swivel on all my finesse setups that includes my DS, Spybait rods and have notice a huge improvement in line twist. Yes I hate adding two more knots to my setup but so far so good. If you haven't tried this yet give it a whirl on one of your setups.

11. Member
    A few months ago I bought a used Curado baitcaster that came already spooled with flourocarbon. I'd only previously used flouro as a leader for braid, which is a combo I really like other than dealing with the connection knot. I could tell right away that the reel was solid but I never could get it dialed in right with the flouro, and eventually had cut off so much from bad casts/overruns that it needed to be respooled. Put some braid on it and it was like magic - no problems since. To each his own.
    Last edited by UncleJed; 07-26-2022 at 01:12 PM.

12. Member
    Honestly from the way you describe it, I would just stick with mono if it works for you.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    I use the power pro and top knot myself but only 6/7 ft leaders. Never had an issue. I put fluro on the baitcasters, no issues. You might try pline cx premium copolymer. It's fluro coated, thin but real soft and smooth. It should work better on spinning reels...I use it if I want a mono leader and some baitcasters. Actually it casts farther than any fluro I've tried.

14. Member
    I use 12, 17 and 20 lb. fluorocarbon (primarily Invizx) on multiple casting combos. I do use line conditioner every other week or so, which helps on the larger diameter lines. The greater sensitivity is noticeable to me, and therefore worth the extra line care that is required. On my two spinning reels, I use 15 lb. braid with either an 8 or 10 lb. leader, approximately 6 ft. long. I never use conditioner on these spinning combos and have zero line issues.

15. Member
    I don’t like it on spinning reels either. Same problems and honestly light braid with a mono leader works just fine for me.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

16. Member
    For strait Fluorocarbon on spinning application I use a 3000 and sometimes a 4000 size reel Daiwa Ballistic and stradic ci4 are the reels I use

17. Member
    6 and 8lb Tatsu is the only flouro that I'll use on a spinning reel, gives me zero problems except the price when I buy it.

Use what works for you. The fish don't care. They'll bite the lure regardless. Every fish you have caught on mono would have also bit if you had been using Fluro, and vise versa. What will cost you fish is the time, energy, and frustration that you are experiencing while on the water. Stick with what works for YOU.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    Use what works for you. The fish don't care. They'll bite the lure regardless. Every fish you have caught on mono would have also bit if you had been using Fluro, and vise versa. What will cost you fish is the time, energy, and frustration that you are experiencing while on the water. Stick with what works for YOU.
    That's where I am at now. All my spinning reels are now either straight mono or braid to mono.
    I have been much happier in the boat.
    You are correct sir. It was a waste of time ,energy plus I am much more at ease fishing.
    It made a big mental difference.
    As an added bonus I have been catching more fish!
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150