How accurate is the fuel gauge in AVX?

Specifically the 1880?

I had right about 1/4 mark on the gauge at the start of the year. Filled up with 15 gallons and it barely went past the 1/2 tank line.... Weird.

Well now I'm right back on the 1/4 line.

My normal lake has an non-ethanol station within a few miles away. I want to fish a different lake but there isn't a close enough non-ethanol station without going out of my way.

I did purge the tank by opening the fill cap. Gauge didn't move. Would you trust 1/4 tank showing?

2. Member
    Adding 15 gallons to about 8 gallons (1/4) would be more than 1/2 a tank (16 gallons=1/2). That makes sense, but don't understand the level gauge dropping back to 1/4. But you know for a fact you put 15 gallons in the tank, so you have about a 1/2 tank or more for sure. I would just go fishing and monitor the fuel tank level gauge for reliability. I can do a lot of running around on the lake with over 15 gallons of fuel in my AVX1880.

3. Member
    So, the other day my gauge said roughly a 1/4 tank. It took 26 gallons to fill it. Which is pretty close, within 2 gallons. I did notice it "hangs" around 1/4 for a long time.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

4. Member
    I've never found any fuel gauge to be 100 percent accurate. They are all just a suggestion. Looks like you need to treat yours as if 1/4 equals empty. You'll have a little safety margin, but don't ever count on it.

I use vessel view mobil along with my gauge. Fuel gauges in boats are notorious for not working well. Along with any other analog gauges. Vessel view has always been within a gallon. I just have to remember to update vessel view after filling up the tank. If your running a Mercury I highly recommend Vessel view.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Ditto on the Vesselview Mobile.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I use vessel view mobil along with my gauge. Fuel gauges in boats are notorious for not working well. Along with any other analog gauges. Vessel view has always been within a gallon. I just have to remember to update vessel view after filling up the tank. If your running a Mercury I highly recommend Vessel view.
    Do you have to have the app running 100% of the time when the motor is running for it to be accurate?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Adding 15 gallons to about 8 gallons (1/4) would be more than 1/2 a tank (16 gallons=1/2). That makes sense, but don't understand the level gauge dropping back to 1/4. But you know for a fact you put 15 gallons in the tank, so you have about a 1/2 tank or more for sure. I would just go fishing and monitor the fuel tank level gauge for reliability. I can do a lot of running around on the lake with over 15 gallons of fuel in my AVX1880.
    Eh? Adding 15 gallon should have put me closer to the 3/4 mark, not barely part the 1/2 tank mark.

It's dropped due to usage, that's all.

I do not want to fill up the tank bc I'll never be able to use it all this year. If there was an easy way to pump out all the gas, I would do it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Do you have to have the app running 100% of the time when the motor is running for it to be accurate?

From my experience yes. And almost every single time I put fuel in, I update the app, then forget to run It half the day.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I just bought a new 22' 1880 with a 115 Mercury, asked the dealer if there was a hour guage or does it need to be hooked to a pc? he recommended Vessel View. So my question is what did it cost? and how difficult was the install?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pafish Pa View Post
    I just bought a new 22' 1880 with a 115 Mercury, asked the dealer if there was a hour guage or does it need to be hooked to a pc? he recommended Vessel View. So my question is what did it cost? and how difficult was the install?
    I have the vessel view with the phone app instead of the display. $230. You can easily install it yourself. It plugs into the OBD port on the powerhead under the cowl.
    Last edited by KennyVexus; 08-03-2022 at 09:44 AM.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Pafish Pa View Post
    Shop around for vessel view mobil. I found mine on E bay, open box. $150.00

Installation is pretty forward. There is a nice flat aluminum plate on the front of the motor. The module fits on it perfectly. I used double back tape and stuck it on. Took some time and tie wrapped everything up. The beauty of VVM is it gives you all of your vitals and reads out fault codes.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Mine hangs at 1/4 for a long time too and then plummets.

14. Member
    my 2080 gage is is very accurate.
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    Panoptix Livescope System
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

15. Member
    I have run out of fuel, gauge will sometimes hangout around 1/4 then drop to 0.