Hydraulic steering for Pro XS

Hey, recently repowered with a 150 Pro XS on my 1850 Crestliner super hawk.

After the install was done dealer through me the "you might need hydraulic steering pitch". Hmmm, wish I had of known that before hand.

I've had it out a few times for break in, up to 48 mph with a 19p aluminum. Steering can be pretty tight at times but I seem to be able to manage for now.

I've been looking into hydraulic steering. Is the Baystar really the only option? Its kinda crazy expensive, like 2500 or more Canadian. Yikes.

Any other options out there that are more affordable?
    Last edited by Lunger50; 07-24-2022 at 10:39 PM.

2. Member
    2 or 4 stroke ProXS? This sub-forum is for 2-strokes 130hp and below.

If 2 stroke - Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance

If 4 stroke - Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

What is hydraulic steering pitch? Hyd steering is always a good upgrade in my experience. There are other options than Baystar and you are at the maximum limit of that system. Seastar has many options for your application and easily handle the 150. Uflex is another company that makes hydraulic steering systems. Unfortunately Baystar is about the cheapest system out there.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    The sales pitch of waiting until after the install to tel me about hydraulic steering...

Yeah Baystar won't cut it.

Got a quote, Seastar , 3200 installed. Wholly crap. I can by a car for that, this is just a steering system Wow.

5. Member
    UFLEX or SEASTAR , small car
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Lunger50 View Post
    The sales pitch of waiting until after the install to tel me about hydraulic steering...

Yeah Baystar won't cut it.

Got a quote, Seastar , 3200 installed. Wholly crap. I can by a car for that, this is just a steering system Wow.
    Ah Got it…sales pitch. These days, $3200 would get you a rusted out barely running car. These systems are not cheap but they are worth it if you fish a lot.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So is this engine an Optimax, or a new 4-stroke?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor