Shimano Nexave 2500 PUZZLE

The reel has worked fine for a number of years. Very lightly used.

Recently, and sporadically, when I crank...it seems like the handle hits a dead spot. I have to press twice as hard to get the handle turning again. And, once it happens, it seems like the "dead spot" stays with me for a number of casts. If it did it every time, then I'd better understand it. It might do it tomorrow after 50 casts, and it might not.

I am casting light lures and just cranking them back in. In 70+ years of fishing (many with bait-casters) this is the fist time I've had this sensation.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

p.s. I have not cleaned it since I bought it.

2. Member
    This is a case where you need to take it apart and give it a good clean and lube. You never know untill you get it apart but I bet nothings broken just some trash in there somewhere. if nothing else , take the spool off and clean/lube
    that area first,, that alone may solve your problem

It’s either a friction ring or idle gear. Unless you’re familiar with proper disassembly I’d be careful. Spinning reels are nothing like a bait caster. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    Thanks, to both of you guys. Ha ha "Unless you’re familiar with proper disassembly".

It is true that I have never taken a
    spinning reel apart other than a cursory popping of the side off. Since it isn't worth anything at all to me this way, I guess I will

pull her apart. I like the Idle Gear comment. What should I look for? Will the Idle Gear (assuming I can identify it) have a flat spot, or a burr on it? I'm 82 but still willing to learn.

5. Member
    A word of advice! Send to Dan at Reelex. I know from experience

I've been taking apart and servicing my reels for over 30 yrs. You can google a schematic for your reel and print it up. Take pictures of each section as you take it apart and line up the parts in order so you can put it back the same way. Clean each part/bearing with Rubbing Alcohol and use a can of Air to blow them dry. When oiling, do not over oil and just a drop or two max. Also, remember, OIL is for bearings and GREASE is for gears !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Yea, not that easy, spinning reels need to be indexed and re-indexed. Oh, and just for the record some bearings are greased bearings as well. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Oh, and just for the record some bearings are greased bearings as well. Dan
    Meant to say "Rule of Thumb" ! However, I've never found one on any Shimano I've ever done, including the Curado Greenies, Super Free's and DHSV's.. I know "Your the Man" when it comes to fixin' and servicin' so I'm not questioning you, just going on my experience's. Also used to do my Quantum's and Diawa's too. Am I missing something ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Actually two of the reels you mention had greased bearings to start with. The SF and DHSV both had pinion support bearings that were originally grease lubed. Currently, between O-Ring, drag washer, and bearing greases there can be as many as 9 containers of different Shimano lubricants on my desk at any one time. To do it correctly there is no such thing as basic anymore. Dan