Glovebox lid came off

The lid on my glovebox came off today in 1' or less waves! NOT! Forecast was 1' or less but when I got farther from the ramp it turned into 3 footers. On the way back to calmer water, my glovebox opened and the nuts pulled thought the plastic. The plastic cracked all of the way through in two spots.

I perused C&O Marine and didn't see anything that looked like mine. Boat info is in my signature.

Any ideas on how to repair or modify? Thanks!

Glovebox.JPG

Glovebox lid top.JPG

Glovebox lid bottom.JPG

Crack2.JPG

Crack1.JPG
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

2. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    And, I need the plastic woodgrain insert above the lid for the same reason.
    I may get creative and make a template from cardboard and recreate one somehow.

I used to have a list of parts places. Let me check, or someone else may chime in.

3. Member
    Contact c&o. They may not have it on their site.

4. Member
    Ebay has a 2006 glove box right now for $298.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I didn’t see the one on eBay.

I sent a message to C&O Marine.

I’m contemplating beefing up the area where the plastic broke with sheet metal if I can do it with basic tools. I’m afraid that if I replace the glove box with OEM, the screws/nuts will eventually break through the plastic again.

6. Member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/155021443627

Pretty close match…..but not perfect.

Backside of glovebox looks like you could use aluminum angle to reinforce it pretty easily.

Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I decided to reinforce the glovebox rather than replace. My thought was that a new one would still have plastic where the lid hinge screws would go through.

I covered the plastic with aluminum tape to keep in somewhat intact. Could have used green duct tape so it would blend in. I used a piece of aluminum, 1" x 1/8" x 36". I cut it to about 20" and bent it 1.5" from each end. Drilled 1/4" hole in each end and mounted in the glove box just below the plastic piece with 1/4-20 bolts, lock washers, flat washers, fender washers and ny-lock nuts. Replaced the small 6-32 screws with 1.5" screws. The 6-32 ny-lock nuts now have to pull through 1/8" aluminum to fail.

The latch was never quite right. The latch broke through the bottom before I bought the boat. Previous owner had a piece of metal mounted where the latch goes. Latch was not engaging the metal. I adjusted the latch to go behind the metal piece for a solid engagement. I know the aesthetics are not perfect but can only see it when the glove box is open!!

Edit: Besides the aluminum piece, the other hardware is all stainless steel. Some stuff I had on hand, the rest I got at Lowe's. They have a good selection of SS hardware.

Tritton Glovebox Tape.JPG

Metal strapping.JPG

Strapping front view.JPG

Strapping Rear View.JPG

Glovebox Complete.JPG
    Last edited by Bob G.; 07-26-2022 at 02:38 PM.

8. Member
    Great job!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Thanks.

Went fishing this morning. Forecast for Champlain was 1’ or less. It was by the ramp as the Route 2 causeway blocks waves from the south. 2 footers or more a few miles from the ramp. Dinkfest for me but my glovebox never popped open and held up to the beating back to the ramp. Looks it will hold up.