Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    ....And as far as all those plastic covers, if they were any good all new boats would have them. Just another gimmick .
    A gimmick that works very well, especially for those that live close to lake less than 20 minutes. Or use your boat more than 3 times a month.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    A gimmick that works very well, especially for those that live close to lake less than 20 minutes. Or use your boat more than 3 times a month.
    Yes otherwise your bunks are wet 24X7 all year if you don't live in the North. I run a king air fan on mine to dry them in the garage and will probably do gatorbaks when they need replaced like I did on my previous one.
    Last edited by rudapa; 08-05-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Didn't Bass Cat try them?
    But not for long.
    After hearing about hull blisters, I remove the carpet from bottom side of bunks to speed up drying.
    With that said-- I've not heard of an Allison with blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Exactly. Carpet has been used for years with little or no issues until it wears out. I replaced my boards only because I have no place to dock the boat for any length of time to replace only the carpet. I bought PT boards....done! Quick swap at the boat ramp. The boards that were on my ranger trailer are also PT. They were in perfect condition after 18yrs.
    And as far as all those plastic covers, if they were any good all new boats would have them. Just another gimmick like those spark plugs with the split electrode that everyone was putting on their motors. And lets not forget somewhere in the early 90's those spring loaded variable pitch props. More PT Barnum specials.
    Carpet causes plenty of issues, obviously you don't know anything about hull blisters.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Carpet will hold sand and debris that can scratch your hull. I never had an issue with loading or unloading, just make sure you do not unhook the bow strap until backed down the ramp and ready to launch because these are very slippery. When loading I hook up the bow eye and with the bunks being so slick it makes it easy to winch the boat right up tight to the bow eye. Loved my ultimate bunk boards.
    My problem is my aluminum Lund sits on a Shorelander trailer and my untreated pine bunks are starting to rot and the carpet needs to be replaced. I don't have a problem loading the boat, wet the bunks and then pull up until the bunks are half way in the water, can winch the boat up easily or slowly power load boat onto the trailer. Might just have to use untreated pine boards as a replacement.

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Didn't Bass Cat try them?
    But not for long.
    After hearing about hull blisters, I remove the carpet from bottom side of bunks to speed up drying.
    With that said-- I've not heard of an Allison with blisters.
    This was explained with pictures long ago.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ighlight=Bunks

All watercraft with gelcoat are susceptible to osmotic blistering. This blistering is a result of constant contact with water. Marine surveyors have dealt with this for many years on in-the-water/docked craft.

The use of Gatorbak bunks eliminates the wet carpet resting against the for extended periods of time and significantly reduces the opportunity for blistering. More expensive than carpet but much easier to install and maintain. 3 year warranty.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-13-2022 at 08:44 AM.

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    No arguments, but do you really think they are easier to install?

8. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    No arguments, but do you really think they are easier to install?
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Absolutely!
    Mine were a huge pita!!! Boards were maybe 1/8th inch wider than the gatorbaks so I had to plane them down after fighting the first one forever trying to make it fit. Even after getting the boards shaved down it was a major battle due to how stiff the gatorbaks were plus they wanted to roll up due to being rolled up for shipping, they wanted to keep that rolled up form. Not a fun job and 10 X harder than carpet.

10. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Carpet was easier for me to install, but I do like the end result with the Gator Baks installed. I'll be looking that way when my 2022 carpet dumps out.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I went gatorbacks from andy never will do carpet again.

12. Member
    I've heard fiberglass shops say that gatorbacks are too "hard" and will scuff the gelcoat worse than carpet. Not 100% sure, but the carpet works well enough for me when it wears out I'll just replace it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

One would think if there better than carpet.....
    How come the boat manufactures haven't jumped on the band wagon.

14. mikesxpress
    Simple explanation.
    Gatorbak is more expensive than carpet. Boat OEMs don't value the trailer like they do the boat itself. The trailer is just a required product to get the product to the customer and they only put the bare necessities into it. More bling ads to the presentation and enhanced the sale. Increasing the structural integrity/longevity past the minimal warranty period does not. It all about the $.

Best wood is cypress.

GatorBak should be fine on Boats towed lesser miles. most local use boats travel few miles on the road and it’s road rash we had an issue with in multiple areas, not just cutting the rear bunk area.

The image in the link is not GatorBak, though a pillow block material we imported and they changed construction of midstream. Usually home boats are the most critical with blistering and that was never our largest goal.

Our goal was preventing transport of invasive species as Zebra and Quagga mussel viligers (larvae) embed in carpeting and can be transported between lakes.

For example here locally we have no Zebra mussels in Norfork, and about 15 miles away Bull Shoals is loaded with Zebra mussels and has had them now almost 20 to 25 years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123