Lake Panasoffkee

Anyone have any info, on fishing Panasoffkee, in August? I know theres BIGGUNS in there, just haven't quite figured out, the where part. Being originally from New Hampshire, these shallow Lakes, are throwing me for a loop, when trying to find the Bass. I know, the area of Pads/grass about 3/4 of the way down, once you leave Tracys point, and take a right. But other than there, not quite sure, where else to try. I have seen guys fishing, right out in the middle of the Lake, at times. Are there any irregularities in depth, out there? I'm not one of those guys that is a flippin/Punchin junkie, but have the set up, if need be. Is that my best chance, throwing like a Bandito Bug, and flipping it out along that grass area, i mentioned earlier, thats like 3/4 of the way down, or is flipping along the shoreline, my best bet? Haven't fished much, to the left, coming out of Tracys point. I do know theres a slight dropoff, like 10:00, when leaving Tracys point, about a couple hundred yards out, but never had any luck there, either. I have all the baits, just can't seem to find the fish. ANY points or help, would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

2. Member
    Wish it was possible to help. One of my least favorite/productive lakes in history.
    And the silt is a pain in my book. Rather go fishing in Tsala Apopka or another.

Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Anyone have any info, on fishing Panasoffkee, in August? I know theres BIGGUNS in there, just haven't quite figured out, the where part. Being originally from New Hampshire, these shallow Lakes, are throwing me for a loop, when trying to find the Bass. I know, the area of Pads/grass about 3/4 of the way down, once you leave Tracys point, and take a right. But other than there, not quite sure, where else to try. I have seen guys fishing, right out in the middle of the Lake, at times. Are there any irregularities in depth, out there? I'm not one of those guys that is a flippin/Punchin junkie, but have the set up, if need be. Is that my best chance, throwing like a Bandito Bug, and flipping it out along that grass area, i mentioned earlier, thats like 3/4 of the way down, or is flipping along the shoreline, my best bet? Haven't fished much, to the left, coming out of Tracys point. I do know theres a slight dropoff, like 10:00, when leaving Tracys point, about a couple hundred yards out, but never had any luck there, either. I have all the baits, just can't seem to find the fish. ANY points or help, would be greatly appreciated.
    Took 2nd in a Classic there with big fish of 7.59. Caught the big fish on a white 1/2 o spinnerbait with a big willow leaf and small Colorado blade to the left leaving Tracy's. Of course this was a March tournament .
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Member
    Yeah, i know they're in there. March is alot cooler than August. I am throwing all the right baits for the time of the year, just a matter of finding them first.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

5. Member
    I look for grass lines and changes in density and target the scattered grass area. I rarely beat the banks there unless in or near canals. The middle of the lake is mostly eel right now, find areas on both side where it thins out, and start chunkin'. When you catch one, slow down, pick the area apart, then keep going.

Swimming womsBig ribbontails
    Spinnerbait/bladed jig
    Swimbaits
    Spooks

Since it's pretty clear water, I have found that you can fish fairly quick. Good luck

6. Member
    Sent you a PM.

7. Member
    UPDATE: So our tournament at Lake Panasoffkee last weekend went well. There was a night tournament, Saturday night. We got to the ramp, and parking lot is pretty full. Come to find out, there was another club tournament there as well. GREAT, going to be a grind, now. Anyway, my co-angler put us on fish, and i ended up winning the tournament. FINALLY got that monkey off my back. I had a limit with a 4.5 & a 4.25, and 3 smaller ones with a weight of 12+ Lbs. Missed big fish, by 2 Ozs. The other club, weighed in an 8 Lb & a 7 Lb LM. Their winning bag was 22 Lbs. So happy with my win. Thanks everyone for the input. OH YEAH, Caught all my fish on a Swim Jig.Want to try using a Jerkbait too. Been watching videos. I'm using an "Ike" Signature series Delay rod. 6'8" medium, with fast tip. Rigged with 30 lb test 832 Braid. I'm also using a clip on the Jerkbait. Is anyone using a Jerkbait and just ripping it through the grass tip, for reaction strikes? Orlando Bass makes it look easy. Its definately worth a try, espeecially now that we are coming into the so called Fall months. Lets hear what you guys think about using a jerkbait here in florida. Thanks, Jim
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

8. Member
    Congratulations Jim!! Way to go - sounds like you figured out Pan just fine....
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain