Please help with small mouth

Guys where can I catch some small mouth from august to beginning of October. I’m flexible on the time just need to know what body of water. Once I figure out where then I will find a house to rent for the family. My dad and I have wanted to do this for sometime. Any info will be greatly appreciated thanks Bob

2. Member
    That time of year your best bet is to find a good Smallmouth stream to wade and fish.

Without going too far north, the best bodies of water I know of for smallmouth are the in east TN area - that being Dale Hollow lake (which actually was home to a record size smallmouth) and predominantly the lower end of Cherokee lake (which fishes much like a northern lake - deeper, clearer, steep bluff/rock banks, etc.)

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

4. Member
    Can I assume Norris lake also? Trying to look at houses now on the phone which is tough. Gonna have to wait till I get home. Never have waded much. Always have fished in boats as we fish a lot in Florida. Thank you guys for helping.

Norris definitely has good smallmouth as well, although I have actually never fished it personally. The amazingly crystal clear water I hear about isn't my preferred style to fish so I usually go elsewhere but would like to give a shot one day as well as I do hear good things about it! You won't go wrong either way.

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

Dale Hollow is very stingy that time of year. Wait until end of November or December for better fishing.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    Dale Hollow is very stingy that time of year. Wait until end of November or December for better fishing.
    Listen to this man if you are considering Dale. I had some good success on the TN river through Chattanooga last year.

Tailwaters at Chickmauga dam on Nickajack. Nick doesn't change much with drawdown, unlike most TVA lakes.

9. Member
    Below Old Hickory dam on the Cumberland offers some good smallie fishing
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    ^^^^This. Same time frame for Cherokee. Late October through December is some of the best fishing in East Tennessee.

Don't forget about the little pigeon river in Seveirville tn....
    I've personally witnessed 2 fish over 7 lbs caught there. Not by me,my best was a 6.2....and lots of 1-5 lbs.

12. Member
    If you are a night fisherman then Watauga and South Holston have great smallmouth fishing that time of year. Not for the daytime crowd though.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Below Old Hickory dam on the Cumberland offers some good smallie fishing
    Before the Neelys bend Ramp turned into a total drug infested crime scene we loved fishing the Cumberland for smallmouth in the summer. Drifting a 1.4 ounce jig down the rocks will get your arm yanked off, especially if you knew where the tugs would power up hard and pile up gravel in humps along the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    Tailwaters at Chickmauga dam on Nickajack. Nick doesn't change much with drawdown, unlike most TVA lakes.
    Good advice, last trip down there it was very good fishing below the dam. We threw DT6 and caught lots of nice smallmouth.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

15. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Telico can provide some good Smallmouth fishing in the fall as well.