Buying a Used Boat From Alabama Private Owner

Guys, can anyone explain to me what the registration/titling requirements are in the state of Alabama?

Not sure if Alabama titles boats, motors, trailers or none. I am looking at buying a private party used boat currently in Alabama and trying to understand what existing paperwork I will need to get from the current owner....I will be will be registering/titling in the state of Arkansas so want to make sure I have all the correct paperwork. Thanks in advance.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

2. Member
    Bill of sale. Alabama doesn't have titles and neither does Arkansas. Sold a boat to someone in Pocahontas, Arkansas about 10 years ago. Bill of sale and witnesses on the bill of sale. Unless Arkansas has changed, Alabama does not title boat and boat trailer.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT978 View Post
    Bill of sale. Alabama doesn't have titles and neither does Arkansas. Sold a boat to someone in Pocahontas, Arkansas about 10 years ago. Bill of sale and witnesses on the bill of sale. Unless Arkansas has changed, Alabama does not title boat and boat trailer.

Thanks KT. Arkansas does title boat trailers and now as of model year 2020 they title hulls. Any thoughts on how I would be able to confirm there is no lien or encumbrance on the boat/trailer/motor? Thanks again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Member
    I would contact one of the Alabama boat dealers in the sponsors section on BBC and ask them the question. Since they take trade ins a dealer would know for certain about requirements, liens, etc.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Having just sold to a feller in Illinois, it's your responsibility to apply for the titles of boat and trailer in your state. All you will leave here with from a sale in Alabama is a copy of tag receipt and the bill of sale. That's basically it. All of your states paperwork is left up to you. The only registration that Alabama uses on boats is the yearly registration sticker. That covers boat, motor and trailer in Bama.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Having just sold to a feller in Illinois, it's your responsibility to apply for the titles of boat and trailer in your state. All you will leave here with from a sale in Alabama is a copy of tag receipt and the bill of sale. That's basically it. All of your states paperwork is left up to you. The only registration that Alabama uses on boats is the yearly registration sticker. That covers boat, motor and trailer in Bama.
    Thanks. I need to figure out how to determine if the boat is free of any liens. In my past dealings the bank, credit union, etc would hold the title or the title would have the bank’s interest listed accordingly. Absent titling as is the case in Alabama I don’t know how I would do this verification?

7. Member
    Not to highjack the thread but what about moving to Alabama. My boat is registered in Michigan. What will I need to do to have the boat trailer and motor legal in Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Not to highjack the thread but what about moving to Alabama. My boat is registered in Michigan. What will I need to do to have the boat trailer and motor legal in Alabama?
    I'm sure your Michigan registration will be fine in order to swap it over.. All we really need here at the DMV is a bill of sale and they'll register it's in your name..

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Thanks. I need to figure out how to determine if the boat is free of any liens. In my past dealings the bank, credit union, etc would hold the title or the title would have the bank’s interest listed accordingly. Absent titling as is the case in Alabama I don’t know how I would do this verification?
    This guy used a company I wouldn't recommend so I'm not gonna name it but they did have me get them boat inspected by a certified dealer which not only helps them but also the buyer ... And all the lien stuff was done thru them as well... But since there so much different stuff going on there than here, it's just that much more paperwork and as the seller I felt as if I was looking at buying a house because of all of it and I asked her why that was... Cross country buys are not simple as it is, so so the extra inspection and paperwork helps fill out the blanks of not being able to physically lay your eyes on the boat before buying...

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Member
    I have lived in Alabama all my life and all you will get or need from Alabama as they do not title boats or trailers of that size. You need to worry about what Illinois will require for you to register.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I have lived in Alabama all my life and all you will get or need from Alabama as they do not title boats or trailers of that size. You need to worry about what Illinois will require for you to register.
    What does Illinois have to do with it? Did you read the OP?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    What does Illinois have to do with it? Did you read the OP?
    Geodebasser was replying to me as I slightly highjacked the op.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    If it is clear of any liens, he should have a UCC Financing Statement Amendment from the State of Alabama stating so.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries