Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xi5 loses GPS...then goes thru some sort of update. What's going on?

Posted about this back in May but now have photographic evidence.

My Xi5 is occasionally (3-4 times since early May) is going through an update sequence that doesn’t make sense to me.

The motor (GPS link) will work as it should all day. The next day I hit the lake and I have no GPS link for about an hour or so no matter what I do. (reboot, disconnect from Lowrance etc.)

All of the sudden I get the “don’t turn off motor is updating” screen…(see picture)…then the “Motor is Updated” screen…(see picture). What the heck is going on? How is the motor updating? I’ve not connected it to any outside wifi, cell phone, yada yada. I unplug it when I'm done for the day, and during battery charging and plug it back in when I'm back on the water. It has done this with my old original Lowrance Elite Ti units and now with new Elite FS units. I've had it for about 4-5 years and this is a new situation just this year.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Update Screen 1.jpeg Update Screen 2.jpeg
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 07-21-2022 at 04:43 PM.

2. Member
    Update: Came in from fishing last night at about 9:00, tied the boat to the dock. All I did was turn off the Lowrance units. I left the motor plugged in (did not charge batteries over night)
    Went out on the lake early this morning....turn on graphs...deployed Xi5.....no GPS. Hmmmmmm, here we go again.

I then stowed the Xi5, unplugged it, disconnected the Xi5 from the Lowrance Elite FS then plugged in the Xi5, waited a few minutes then deployed....PRESTO...instant GPS lock. Then I reconnected the Xi5 to the Lowrance and everything worked as it should.

Do you think this is just a glitch that I'm going to have to live with or is there something going on between the Lowrance units and the Xi5 that might be remedied?
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 07-22-2022 at 06:41 AM.

3. Member
    What it sounds like to me is that the elite is telling you that there is an update that needs to be done. What I would first do is disconnect the elite from the XI 5 then I will check to make sure there's no updates available or if there is updates update your Elite. Then what I would do is connect the XI 5 to the elite and see if the update will transfer any information to the xi5. If the update does not transfer again what I would do is call MotorGuide and get them to send you the update for the xi5

4. Member
    I just installed an Xi5 and an Elite 7 and an Elite 9. All networked and verified both units can see the xi5 on the network. The xi5 wouldn't get gps signal in the garage but the lowrance units could. Are these xi5 units sensitive with gps? I haven't been out of the garage to try it yet.

There is finally new update available for Xi5. No dongle is needed. Might solve your issue.
    https://www.motorguide.com/us/en/own...QQgBifWEWfmBNY

6. Member
    Thanks....I'll look into the update.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    There is finally new update available for Xi5. No dongle is needed. Might solve your issue.
    https://www.motorguide.com/us/en/own...QQgBifWEWfmBNY

7. Member
    Little bit of an update:
    The download instructions say that if you are downloading via the Lowrance ELITE FS units to call Lowrance first but they don't say why.
    I called Lowrance and the gal put me on hold for a couple minutes when she got back to me she told me to make sure my ELITE FS units were running the most current software which is 22.1.
    So I'm going to take the step off the dock and give the Xi5 update a try. Wish me well!!

8. Member
    I did the update..All went well. Fingers crossed

9. Member
    How did you do the update?

Quote Originally Posted by bingbingz View Post
    How did you do the update?
    Download on an SD card and follow instructions through Lowrance units

11. Member
    The new update did nothing to cure the Lowrance units wanting to run an update when the Xi5 was/is deployed. (see pictures at original post) I am getting a couple of new "pop up" messages....One asks me if I want to run an update and the other asks me to unplug motor for 5 seconds then plug back in. It almost acts like there is a update stuck in the software someplace and it wants to keep installing it.

I think that if I apply power to the Xi5 and then wait a few minutes before powering up the Lowrance and the NMEA I may be able to do a "work around" the problem. We'll see.
    Besides this new "update" situation the Xi5/Lowrance network works as it should most of the time....I think I'll just have to live with these little hiccups.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 07-30-2022 at 03:58 PM.

12. Member
    Do you have all the autopilot setting turned on in advanced settings on your Live. The autopilot is the controls for Troll motor controls. There are 3 of them in advanced settings. Pages/Settings/Advanced/ Autopilot 3 times

It does not sound like the update was completed. Unplug for 5 sec is part of the update process

14. Member
    It does not sound like the update was completed. Unplug for 5 sec is part of the update process
    I went through the proper update process with the update file on a card and in the lowrance unit. Both units show that the Xi5 software is now current. The update process keeps popping up without me requesting and no file in the SD card slot.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    I went through the proper update process with the update file on a card and in the lowrance unit. Both units show that the Xi5 software is now current. The update process keeps popping up without me requesting and no file in the SD card slot.
    Did you do the second update also?
    I also question the update through the FS9. Must be some issue with those that required a call before update. I have a mix of FS9 and Live units and believe there is something different in the software but can not pinpoint it.

From the the FB group "motorguide trolling motor owners" they say the FS9 must be downgraded to software version 20.3 to do the update. After the update is completed the FS9 can be brought back up to current software version. Thats all I know but makes sense to me.
    Last edited by bloodman; 07-31-2022 at 08:11 AM.

16. Member
    Great...(not great)....the Lowrance lady told me I had to be running the 22.1 software on my Elite FS units to up grade the Xi5 ...but then again she had to put me on hold to get an answer and she didn't speak very good English. I did do a hard reset this morning. Going to the local river later and park under a shady tree and re-enter my settings and have a couple of cold ones in the process.

I'm not too much of a facebook kinda guy but I'll join the motorguide trolling motor owners to see if I can get any help

Did you do the second update also?
    I also question the update through the FS9. Must be some issue with those that required a call before update. I have a mix of FS9 and Live units and believe there is something different in the software but can not pinpoint it.

From the the FB group "motorguide trolling motor owners" they say the FS9 must be downgraded to software version 20.3 to do the update. After the update is completed the FS9 can be brought back up to current software version. Thats all I know but makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Great...(not great)....the Lowrance lady told me I had to be running the 22.1 software on my Elite FS units to up grade the Xi5 ...but then again she had to put me on hold to get an answer and she didn't speak very good English. I did do a hard reset this morning. Going to the local river later and park under a shady tree and re-enter my settings and have a couple of cold ones in the process.

I'm not too much of a facebook kinda guy but I'll join the motorguide trolling motor owners to see if I can get any help
    Gotcha. Gotta be something with the FS9 or they wouldn't have noted it. If you can put 20.3 in the fs9 and the upgrade.

18. Member
    Gotcha. Gotta be something with the FS9 or they wouldn't have noted it. If you can put 20.3 in the fs9 and the upgrade.
    The thing is it originally did it with my old Elite Ti units this spring. Everything was fine...changed lakes...dropped the Xi5 in the lake and no GPS. Left, Right, Faster, Slower commands worked but no GPS lock so no GPS related commands worked. So the next day I go fishing...drop the Xi5 in the lake...no GPS again...then all of the sudden the pop-up screen that says motor is updating....a few minutes later a pop-up that says Update finished...10 seconds later I get GPS lock and everything is all good.

19. Member
    OK...Bit of news here. I reinstalled the (older/original) SWUP 07 update. I was shown install instructions that said this update would cure the constant request for trolling motor update. I had not seen these instructions before and they were not the ones that were originally supplied to me when the 07 update became available.

Lowrance Elite FS unit now shows software version 07 for the Trolling Gateway. Since then I have done multiple shut-downs and start-ups in different sequences and things seem to be going perfectly. No "Update Trolling Motor" pop ups....Trolling Motor Autopilot command center is always available....Xi5 GPS lock always comes on. I'm not sure if I need to install the current SWUP 00 update as the Xi5 has the blue power light fading in and out when the Xi5 is stored. So, as for right now I'd have to say reinstalling SWUP 07 cured the constant request for updating trolling motor. Stay tuned for further news.

SWUP 77.JPG

20. Member
    Called motorguide and they said my GPS is bad. Told me to call cabelas. Cabelas is sending me a new unit. Hopefully this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast