Livescope only display - Does a higher resolution screen = better Livescope picture?

I've never seen a good or official answer to this question (mostly alot of personal "I think it's better or I think there's no difference" opinions)

Does the Livescope image displayed on screen improve if you use a higher resolution screen or is the resolution pre-determined by the GLS10 and thus the same no matter what screen its displayed on? Has Garmin ever officially answered the question?

An easy screen model comparison for arguement's sake - EchoMap 93UHD vs Ultra106 (GLS10 & LVS34 latest software installed)
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

2. Member
    I upgraded from a 93sv+ to a 8610 and saw quite a bit of improvement. Mostly it was the image sharpness. I would say it was about a 30% improvement in image quality. The big difference was the screen size made it easier to see.

The higher the resolution, yes the sharper the images as long as the density of pixels per square inch of screen is higher.
    I went from a 93SV to the 106SV and definitely notice a cleaner picture
    800 x 480 pixels vs 1280 x 800

A little math equates to 42,667 pixels per inch of screen vs 102,400.

However if I would have gone to a 126SV it would not have been as good as the 106SV.
    The reason for this is there is the same amount of pixels in the 12" screen as there is in the 10", 1
    280 x 800 pixels which equates to 85,333 pixels per inch

The 10" garmin models (I referring to the ecomaps) have the sharpest picture, because more pixels are crammed into a smaller area. If you go to BPS or somewhere that has both units running in simulator mode you can tell the difference, it is slight but you can tell that the 10" garmin has the sharpest image of the 9" through 12" models.

So what would compare or be better than a 8612XSV ?? just curious
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250hp 4S

5. Member
    There is a point where the screen has more PPI than it needs. If it does not change the results(does it help your catch more fish or just cost more). There are many other attributes to a screen than the number of pixels per inch. Like brightness and contrast, Viewing distance changes the perception of clarity as well. It really comes down to the users eyesight and preferences. It is a very individual choice. You really need to actually look at them to decide. It also matters on what is being viewed. If tiny details can be seen there is more value to high resolution. If you arelooking at a blurry image to start with it will still be blurry in FHD. The blurry images will have a crisper blurry edge. But if you switch from LS to the map it become crystal clear. Clearer is nice if you can afford it. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    So what would compare or be better than a 8612XSV ?? just curious
    Nothing in the Garmin or Lowrance lineup. At 1920 x 1080 for a 12” display the 8612 has the highest resolution. Once dialed in, the 8612 has the potential to provide a noticeably sharper imagine than a display rated at 1280 x 800. Notice I said potential. There are a number of factors that will affect imagine quality besides how many pixels the unit is capable of displaying.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Same for HB, the Apex is full HD/1080P…1920x1080.

8. Member
    The pixel count and clarity are relevant to screen size. Meaning that on a small screen the fhd/uhd isnt near as noticeable as trying to view 480 on a very large screen.
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

9. Member
    I'm running the GPSMAP8412 and it is outstanding with Livescope.

10. Member
    I have an FHD unit as well, it is outstanding on clarity! I am just wondering what the advantage is on LS compared to say a 1200x800 screen. I know it makes for a more pleasing screen to view, but will it provide an advantage as it works out to be almost twice as much to purchase. I appreciate the better clarity on all screens, but if one’s use is primarily for LS is it that big of a plus? Thanks Bob

11. Member
    Just my two cents but I did not see a noticeable difference between my 93sv and 8612xsv on livescope. Just recently upgraded to lvs34 maybe that will make more of a difference?

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    IPhone is 2778x1284 and its 6 inch screen I don't think a monitor can get close to the resolution of that.When I record from apitve capt on my phone its night and day .

13. Member
    I appreciate all of the responses to this question!
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"