Sonar "Not Available"

I have a Garmin 7612xsv with two GT50M transducers. This season the sonar keeps dropping out intermittingly and getting a "sonar module lost - built in" message. When it works it works well but now it's happening more frequently so I need to troubleshoot this. I did a software update and that seems to work for awhile but now it's back. Tempted to do the reset network option but not sure what that entails. Not a techy guy so would welcome any suggestions.

2. Member
    Disconnect the cable and carefully clean the pins. Something like Craigs DeoxIT.
    How do you hook up two GT50 transducers? You only have one 12 pin connector on the 7612. Maybe you have two units.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I didn't do the install but from what I recall they used a Y cable. Told me 2 units were needed for side scan optimization. May have been BS?

4. Member
    Probably not BS. I'm doing the same thing with the GT56 and 8616. SideVu is probably better that way. I see the setup now. 7612 to Y cable to two GT50s. The sonar module lost is internal to the 7612 so it probably has nothing to do with the cables or transducers. The current GPSMAP software will not install on the 7612 so I would try to get the latest version for the 7612 and do a Forced Update and hope that helps. I've seen that problem before on a 7610 and recovered from it with a software update. That was some years ago. Hopefully that's your problem and not a hardware issue with the 7612. What version of the software are you running?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    I'm away from my boat but I thinks it's 20.40/4.40. I did this update when I first noticed the problem this spring. At the time the sonar didn't work at all and after the update it seemed fixed only to come back but now it's intermittent. More not working than working. Thanks for helping me out as I'm not sure where to turn now. I did order the deoxIt and will try that. Local marina wants to replace the transducers and since they're no longer available they found some off brand. Not doing that since when it works the unit is perfect.

6. Member
    There's very little chance that it's the transducers. These are very reliable transducers. You can test that though without expense. The Y cable pullls most everything; transdcuer id, ClearVu, 2d and right SideVu from the starboard transducer. The only thing it pulls from the port transducer is the left SideVu. You could change the plugs on the Y cable and reverse them. Your SideVu imaging wouldn't be but all the circuits would be changed. You could also skip the Y cable and plug transducers directly into the 7612 but all this regarding the cables and transducers ignores the error message. The sonar module message refers to functions within the 7612. Error messages pertaining to transducer function have the word "transducer" in the error message. The best I remember this problem first surfaced with v15.x and the sonar continue to function indicating that the error message itself was the error not the sonar module. I'd suggest calling Garmin Support. They should be able to identify what software version you should be running to avoid the problem.

7. Member
    Was away from the boat for a couple weeks but did get some instructions from Garmin tech support. Check what transducer was available, which was correct. GT50M. Then sonar module lost error message appeared and all sonar functions were no longer available on the plotter. I ran the diagnostics and sent them the files so I'll see what they come up with. Looking more like the 7612 rather than software.

8. Member
    A need to repower cut my season short last year so back to my sonar problem. After trying everything else the conclusion is my sonar module is shot. Garmin recommends a 1243xsv replacement (for current 7612xsv) which they say is compatible size wise and with my GT50's. Other than an adapter plate they say it is a straight forward replacement. I considered the external gsd25 module but want the Navionics maps available on the 1243. My question is if this swap out is as easy as they think since I'm not mechanically inclined and if there's any other considerations. Also the 1243 has a J1939 connector which I'm not familiar with. My current display gets some engine data through the NMEA 2000 and wondered if this would also be the case on the 1243. If so can I ignore the J1939 connection.

Thanks.

9. Member
    I'm assuming that you are only running one unit, the 7612xsv. You have a couple of options. The 1243xsv is a good option and an upgrade. Your GT50's can be plugged into it and then displayed on the 7612 even with the malfunctioning sonar module. You would just need a network cable. The upgrade option is that the 1243xsv can use the GT56 for better sidevu and also display that on both units. Adding 2-GT56's though is going to cost.

Another option i would consider to get more mileage out of the 7612 is to look for a used GPSMAP unit on ebay that's compatible with the GT50's. Same kind of thing. The sonar module on that unit could operate the GT50's and display it on the 7612. It wouldn't have to be a 12" unit and it should look the same as what you see now.

If you go with the 1243xsv and swap them out it should be easy enough. If you're using a gimball mount you'll probably have to change that out. You won't be involved with the j1939. NMEA should work the same.

10. Member
    I am getting the 1243xsv. It will be flush mounted as is the 7612 but guess I need an adapter plate even though they're the same size. If I keep the 7612 and gimble mount it to the dash and network it to the 1243, would the 7612 just display whatever is on the screen on the 1243 or can they be independent of each other. Thanks for your reply - very helpful.

11. Member
    You choose what to display. I'd be lazy and leave the 7612 where it is, move the transducer cable to the 1243 and connect them with a Garmin Marine Network cable (ethernet). Everything you've been doing with the 7612 is now back in operation just like it was. For the sonar you have to go into the menu for Sonar Setup, select Source, and choose the 1243. Bingo. Everything you've been seeing from the GT50 on the 7612 is back and working.

Then I would decide where to put the 1243 that would be the most useful. I'd want it on the bow with LiveScope.

I would check your battery.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You choose what to display. I'd be lazy and leave the 7612 where it is, move the transducer cable to the 1243 and connect them with a Garmin Marine Network cable (ethernet). Everything you've been doing with the 7612 is now back in operation just like it was. For the sonar you have to go into the menu for Sonar Setup, select Source, and choose the 1243. Bingo. Everything you've been seeing from the GT50 on the 7612 is back and working.

Then I would decide where to put the 1243 that would be the most useful. I'd want it on the bow with LiveScope.
    Good advice - thanks for your help.