Thread: '90 75 hp Merc

'90 75 hp Merc

Trying to help a friend with this engine and don't have the serial number yet (hope to have soon). Can someone tell me if I am remembering the alarm pattern for this engine correctly?

Solid tone = critical alarm, shut down and return to dock
    4 beeps, pause, repeat = non-critical alarm, shut down soon as safely possible and service engine
    Rapid continuous beeping = oil rotation sensor failed

Thanks!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Member
    fox that engine doesnt have a motion sensor , and should only have solid tone for both low oil and overheat warning , the bad thing about that oil system is a hose can break (lack of service to engine ) and if tank is full of oil it will run and no alarm until it locks up/ only has low oil alarm for oil system make sense ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks Joe, he sent sent me the serial number - 0D102921 but no additional info other than "a beeping noise in the starter/throttle panel". Is this one with plastic drive gear and should he just start mixing oil/fuel? Says it runs good otherwise and a "mechanic friend" suggested to bypass the pump and just mix. Want to make sure he gets the right advice.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    yes gear should be plastic very few gear problems with this mtr , prob all thats wrong is float in tank which is likely backordered ,mixing would be probly fastest/safest repair ,or just monitor oil level in tank but thats risky , but id fix it if it was me but you already knew that didnt you ???
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes gear should be plastic very few gear problems with this mtr , prob all thats wrong is float in tank which is likely backordered ,mixing would be probly fastest/safest repair ,or just monitor oil level in tank but thats risky , but id fix it if it was me but you already knew that didnt you ???
    Yes, as that's what I'd do too. Thanks for verifying this!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Thanks Joe and that's what I'd do too. Can the harness leads be shorted to test float switch like the Optimax?

You're right, part is backordered.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    just unplug either one of the light blue comming out of bottom of tank =no beep = float bad

8. Member
    Thanks Joe, you and Don are AWESOME!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member