Fuel tank Hoses?

Pulled my seats out and looked at fuel tank thru the two holes in fiberglass. I found two hoses coming from back of boat on driver side. One enters take by sending unit behind driver, other one enters take behind passenger. No clue what they are for. I'm suspecting a take up fuel line and and a breather hose. I was exploring replacing the anti-siphon valve on my tank fuel line and possibly the fuel line itself. I took pictures thru the holes behind seats. The picture with the wiring is behind driver. The fitting are much larger than the anti-siphon valve I almost purchased to replace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

Quote Originally Posted by Irving-NorCal View Post
    I'm suspecting a take up fuel line and and a breather hose.
    Yup, I believe you are correct!

Tom

3. Member
    Pulled my seats out and looked at fuel tank thru the two holes in fiberglass. I found two hoses coming from back of boat on driver side. One enters take by sending unit behind driver, other one enters take behind passenger. No clue what they are for. I'm suspecting a take up fuel line and and a breather hose. I was exploring replacing the anti-siphon valve on my tank fuel line and possibly the fuel line itself. I took pictures thru the holes behind seats. The picture with the wiring is behind driver. The fitting are much larger than the anti-siphon valve I almost purchased to replace.
    Irving,
    I replaced my fuel line with ethanol poison resistant line though I do not use any ethanol products in my boat, and I believe that the priming bulb is an anti syphon unidirectional, so that should taker care of your anti siphon.

Replaced fuel line today. There is a black hose coming from tank behind driver and attaches to grey fuel line with brass fitting which was strapped to inside of rear hatch by oil tank behind driver. The primer bulb has a anti-syphon valve in it. Was going to be a very easy job but the Mercury fuel line I purchased from dealer has a slightly shorter section from bulb to motor. I had to remove metal clamps off primer bulb and swap out hoses. I used black cable ties for hoses I purchased from dealer at 60 cents apiece. Anyways, all done. I did notice later after I was cleaning up that the plastic liner in my old fuel line was separating. And a side note, replacing seat frame was a chore. The six little screws that attach the back of frame with nylon strap pieces to fiberglass back were tuff. I rebuilt pulse pump day before. Easy job. Although the rebuild kit doesn't come with replacement o rings for fitting that pulls out of water separator. The diagram of the Mercury rebuild kit shows them. So the dealer told me they were in kit. But I asked for two just in case, and they weren't in kit. So I saved me a return trip to that dealer an hour away. Which by the way with the parts supply issues in California being what it is I have 4 shops I use for parts because one of them will probably have what I need, but they are spread out. I even found a rebuild kit for the air compressor on line. Minus the connecting rod.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

5. Member
    Replaced fuel line today. There is a black hose coming from tank behind driver and attaches to grey fuel line with brass fitting which was strapped to inside of rear hatch by oil tank behind driver. The primer bulb has a anti-syphon valve in it. Was going to be a very easy job but the Mercury fuel line I purchased from dealer has a slightly shorter section from bulb to motor. I had to remove metal clamps off primer bulb and swap out hoses. I used black cable ties for hoses I purchased from dealer at 60 cents apiece. Anyways, all done. I did notice later after I was cleaning up that the plastic liner in my old fuel line was separating. And a side note, replacing seat frame was a chore. The six little screws that attach the back of frame with nylon strap pieces to fiberglass back were tuff. I rebuilt pulse pump day before. Easy job. Although the rebuild kit doesn't come with replacement o rings for fitting that pulls out of water separator. The diagram of the Mercury rebuild kit shows them. So the dealer told me they were in kit. But I asked for two just in case, and they weren't in kit. So I saved me a return trip to that dealer an hour away. Which by the way with the parts supply issues in California being what it is I have 4 shops I use for parts because one of them will probably have what I need, but they are spread out. I even found a rebuild kit for the air compressor on line. Minus the connecting rod.
    Not a very good idea using cable tied for fuel hoses, even the ones that have the curved head shape, which I believe are against USCG regs for onboard a vessel fuel delivery.
    Stainless clamps is the only way I go.

Good info. I'll swap them out. The grey hose I took off had cable ties on there at the brass fitting to black hose to tank. Must have been changed out when I had the original grey fuel line changed 10-15 years ago.
    Another question: Is there a strainer screen on the fuel pick up in the tank? When I changed out the fuel sending unit a some years ago, I didn't notice it in bottom of tank and I had removed all the gas out of my tank. I guess I could pull seats out again to look. Any and all help appreciated.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

7. Member
    Good info. I'll swap them out. The grey hose I took off had cable ties on there at the brass fitting to black hose to tank. Must have been changed out when I had the original grey fuel line changed 10-15 years ago.
    Another question: Is there a strainer screen on the fuel pick up in the tank? When I changed out the fuel sending unit a some years ago, I didn't notice it in bottom of tank and I had removed all the gas out of my tank. I guess I could pull seats out again to look. Any and all help appreciated.
    Irving,
    Whether or not it has a strainer, it is indifferent because your have a fuel filter/water separator that would take care of anything prior to going to your diaphragm pump. It is not recommended that you use any additional filter apart from the one under your engine cowling, since it can create a pressure drop.

8. Member
    Irving,
    Here is a picture showing how the fuel line is routed from the tank to the motor.
    IMG_20220726_153444289.jpg

I see you have the same fitting strapped to the inside of your rear hatch by the cranking battery for the fuel lines. My question is there a take up screen on the fuel line in tank? When I changed out my sending unit in the tank some years ago my tank was very clean. But I didn't notice a take up screen on fuel take up line. To tell the truth I didn't remember seeing the take up line/hose. I'm just curious if there is a screen on the take up line in the gas tank. Auto fuel tanks usually have a screen or mesh bag on the take up line. Appreciate all information.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

10. Member
    I see you have the same fitting strapped to the inside of your rear hatch by the cranking battery for the fuel lines. My question is there a take up screen on the fuel line in tank? When I changed out my sending unit in the tank some years ago my tank was very clean. But I didn't notice a take up screen on fuel take up line. To tell the truth I didn't remember seeing the take up line/hose. I'm just curious if there is a screen on the take up line in the gas tank. Auto fuel tanks usually have a screen or mesh bag on the take up line. Appreciate all information.
    I do not recall there being a screen on the pick up when I changed the fuel line, but as I said before, it is not a problem since you have a filter at the motor, or when I had the Skeeter with the Yammie, I put a 10 micron filter under the opening of the bilge compartment, since Yammies don't have a big filter set up like Merc. However, Mercury does not recommend doing it cause of their filter, since it can potentially drop pressure.

11. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    Roger that, thank you.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

12. Member
    Roger that, thank you.
    Copy.