Thread: TM wiring

TM wiring

Okay here we go. Bought a 1995 Viper, I am guessing the 201D even though the title says 21'1". The trolling motor is being replaced and currently has a red and black to one battery and orange and black to the other with no jumper between the 2 batteries yet the 24V TM is working. There are two reset buttons in the bilge for the TM as well. So in the 30 plus years I have owned boats I always connected the batteries in series and just used the red and black from each battery to the TM. What gives? Is there a junction I am not aware of, I have never seen this on any boat I have owned. Two Skeeters, Terry, Pro Craft, Ranger or Tracker. Please advise. Also when did the Cobra Models appear from Viper? I am sure I will have more questions to come and will post pics once I get the TM, Keel Guard and graphs installed. Been rocking 103-108 with no end in sight so working in the garage is very limited this summer.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

2. Member
    To me it sounds as though they are running the trolling motor in 12v with basically twice as much run time. I'm pretty sure that the batteries would have to be linked together themselves to get 24volts out of that setup. I hope the two batteries are the same at least.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Okay here we go. Bought a 1995 Viper, I am guessing the 201D even though the title says 21'1". The trolling motor is being replaced and currently has a red and black to one battery and orange and black to the other with no jumper between the 2 batteries yet the 24V TM is working. There are two reset buttons in the bilge for the TM as well. So in the 30 plus years I have owned boats I always connected the batteries in series and just used the red and black from each battery to the TM. What gives? Is there a junction I am not aware of, I have never seen this on any boat I have owned. Two Skeeters, Terry, Pro Craft, Ranger or Tracker. Please advise. Also when did the Cobra Models appear from Viper? I am sure I will have more questions to come and will post pics once I get the TM, Keel Guard and graphs installed. Been rocking 103-108 with no end in sight so working in the garage is very limited this summer.
    There is a jumper built into the plug on the trolling motor that completes the series connection and provides 24 volts. Good to go on my 95 188, 201 should be the same.

4. Member
    It's hard to diagnose something like this without seeing where these wires are running to. But, there's a chance that you have a 4 wire system.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by KSViper View Post
    There is a jumper built into the plug on the trolling motor that completes the series connection and provides 24 volts. Good to go on my 95 188, 201 should be the same.
    Yes, exactly. Mine was the same, I simply made the connections straight from the batteries using just the black and red wires.

Tom

6. Member
    ksviper,
    you are correct about the plug, and it says right on the face of the plug, which I am trying to find 1 for my spare motor so I don't have to swap it out. From what I have experienced, it will run on 12 or 24V cause I had 1 of the batts go bad and motor was running real slow.
    plug pic.jpg

that's the picture of the plug.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    ksviper,
    you are correct about the plug, and it says right on the face of the plug, which I am trying to find 1 for my spare motor so I don't have to swap it out. From what I have experienced, it will run on 12 or 24V cause I had 1 of the batts go bad and motor was running real slow.
    plug pic.jpg

that's the picture of the plug.
    Bought one for my spare from Academy Sports

8. Member
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

Thanks everyone!!
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

10. Member
    Bought one for my spare from Academy Sports
    Thank you for the intel. I just ordered one for my spare TM.

Here picture of how it should be wired.
    TM plug.jpg
    Last edited by digthemup; 07-26-2022 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added info