2001 PT185 livewell problems

As stated I have a 2001 PT185 and my Flow-rite control has failed again. This version is the simple Auto/Drain version, no recirculate or pump-out function. I haven't pulled the pump and valve out yet, but the gunnell mounted control just moves back and forth and does not control the water flow. I have tried to just forget that system and just put a drain plug in the bottom of the livewell and let the overflow dump overboard through the port on the starboard side of the boat. The hose is either slightly kinked or undersized and mounted too high because the livewell overflows into the bilge even when the pump is set on the longest timer setting. The problem is access to the pump and valve. You need 2 elbows on each arm to be able to work on it. It would probably be easier if the motor was out of the way, but that is not likely to happen. I have replaced the valve or pump 3 or 4 times now, and it takes many frustrating hours and cut-up hands and arms. Has anyone found an easier way to work on the pump/valve? I saw an older Tracker several years ago that had a 4 inch screw-out or pop-out access port in the splashwell. Apparently this was to allow easier access to the pump and plumbing. I'm not sure how the hole was cut, working around the motor, cables, fuel line, etc., but would making a cut-out like that in the aluminum splashwell weaken the transom area? Just looking for thoughts and ideas on an easier plumbing access.
    Last edited by ct0218; 07-19-2022 at 06:58 PM.

2. Member
    Is there a screen on the intake? Without that screen you'll be sucking up grass and other debris causing the valve and pump to fail prematurely. These boats are not well thought out, if you can re-do the plumbing are relocate everything to where you can access it.

3. Member
    Trash and grass coming in are not a problem here--no grass in the lake and there is a screen. I have a screen on the livewell drain which helped with keeping out crawdad parts, etc., but that screen had to go in order to plug the drain to maintain a reasonable water level. It was not well thought out at all, but I may have to live with it unless I can find a work-around to make it more accessible. It might be possible to mount the pump/valve a little higher off the bottom of the bilge, but it can't go too high or there won't be any draining of the livewell.