Question Tr-186 jackplate question

Hello, I have a 2007 Triton tr-186 with a 06 Merc 150 opti on it, currently the motor is straight bolted to the transom and has never had a jackplate on it. I’ve been running it for 3 years like this and i have the opportunity to get a bobs 8 inch setback manual Jack plate for 100 bucks brand new from my boss. Long story short I can’t seem to find anyone running an 8 inch setback on this model boat and was wondering if anyone on her has a 8inch or bigger jackplate on their 186?
    I’m more curious how a bigger setback jackplate might effect performance and handling, not necessarily looking to gain speed but hoping to get a better hole shot when I have it loaded down with two guys and full livewells tournament load etc..

It’s the discontinued MJ8 heavy duty manual jackplate rated up to 300hp approx weight 33lbs. If that is any help at all for info

Current set up is 23p tempest plus with my current tackle load I’m only turning about 52-5300 rpm’s at WOT and Maxed out with full tournament load with one person 57.5
    Summer time max speed 55 and change
    Early spring light load max speed I’ve got was 60.2
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I have a tr196 not a 186 so I can only provide a rough guess….not really advice.

$100….worth getting it to test anyway….you can always sell it. I believe 6” is the norm on 186 and 18xs boats…..but 8” might work too. Our older TRs are pretty sensitive to transom weight….mine suffered after adding Talons. I tested lots of props but a chris bailey foil was the best solution…..got my holeshot back & I can run on plane at 16mph.

Good luck.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    I used to have a TR-186 with a 6 in. Jack plate. Not an expert but don’t think you want to exceed that.

4. Member
    My opinion is that a manual plate will not get you better hole shot. This will raise the motor and set the weight further back which makes it harder to push the bow down. I've never had a plate on any boat that allows for faster hole shot unless the motor was raised too high to begin with.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

Your speeds are about what I ran in my 186 with a 6" plate so I would not look for huge gains in that departments. Some perhaps, just not huge.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Do a search. Several years ago there were threads on this set-up.
    2006 Triton TR186, 175 Optimax,

7. Member
    Same setup i have. I dont' think you will benifit from an 8 inch plate. Have your prop tuned by croxton. I'm 300 pounds, have a LOT of shit in my boat, and run about 57 all day, 3 1/4 prop to pad... Keep the impeller fresh too...

8. Member
    Agreed...