Thread: NEW TO GARMIN

NEW TO GARMIN

Long time HB guy (still am actually), however switched to the LVS34 setup over ML recently. Doing my install this weekend with a 1022 head unit. Any tips, tricks, pitfalls I should be aware of?

I do all of my own electronics (have for a long time) so I am very comfortable with the process, just curious if a new brand brings different obstacles.

What about post install? Any tips, tricks, pitfalls to be aware of when when on the water for the first few trips?

Be sure your unit and black box (GLS 10) have the latest updates on them. Check here https://www8.garmin.com/support/note.jsp?id=8743
    I also have mine on an dedicated Amped 30ah lithium battery with a 3amp charger. Check here https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC
    2011 Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS
    Ultrex 36v 112# - 2 10" Helix - 1 10" Garmin for Livescope Plus

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm4545 View Post
    Long time HB guy (still am actually), however switched to the LVS34 setup over ML recently. Doing my install this weekend with a 1022 head unit. Any tips, tricks, pitfalls I should be aware of?

I do all of my own electronics (have for a long time) so I am very comfortable with the process, just curious if a new brand brings different obstacles.

What about post install? Any tips, tricks, pitfalls to be aware of when when on the water for the first few trips?
    Be prepared to get rid of your birds and replace them with all garmins lol. The processing power and software is just way better than the birds.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Before first trip:
    Get everything installed and powered on
    Load Active Captain app on smartphone
    follow instructions to build wifi network and pair phone to graph.

Register and pull updates.
    It may take multiple updates to get to the latest version. It should automatically recognize the LVS and register/pull updates for that as well.

Optional:
    Some like to have everything linked to their phones, etc. I dont like things auto updating or sharing information so I remove the wifi network and uninstall the app.
    I also wait until the unit is fully updated and apps/network connections removed before transfering waypoints, etc into the graph.
    This is entirely your choice and it removes some features you may use.

5. Member
    Thank you all very much! Appreciate the feedback.... Running off of a dedicated 50ah lithium (LVS34 and Mega360 only)

6. Member
    Night & day difference from the Mega Live to LVS34... Very glad I made the switch