2004 Mercury 200 Classic carb

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2004 Ranger 519VX with a 200HP Merc 200 Classic carb motor. I recently brought it into the local dealer to have routine service (water pump, fuel filters etc.) I also asked them to check the charging system as I was having issues with my main cranking battery dying. I have minimal electronics (Lowrance HDS 9 and Hook 7)... and no power poles or other accessories. The boat ran fine except when the cranking battery died and I could not restart.

When I called for an update, the dealer implied that boat would not run and the issue was the voltage regulator and the stator coil. I can understand the voltage regulator affecting the charging system but not the stator. They quoted me a price of $1400 for JUST THE PARTS! A little google search shows the OEM stator at $700-750 but the regulator at $150-250.

My questions: If the stator was dead, would the motor run at all? As I said, the motor ran fine until the cranking battery died. What is the list price for an OEM voltage regulator for my motor? Given the extreme lack of dealers taking new customers (here in New England) I was only able to get an appointment with this dealer because the person I bought the boat from had it serviced there.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated,

Gusman

2. Banned
    Post this in the 3 liter forum along with your serial number for a better chance of getting the info you need. This forum is for 130hp and below. Good luck, hope you get an answer!

3. Member
    please use 2.5 forum need ser number also , yes mtr will run with dead charging coils which are easily tested
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll move your post to the 2.5L forum for you.

You will want to use ONLY OEM parts for this- and remember, it should have two (2) voltage regulators (which should be replaced in pairs).

Please be sure to update your post with the engine serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information so far (I'm a Mercury neophyte except for the 1975 3 cylinder 75 hp I had on my first 16 ft aluminum Grumman bass boat) and moving this to the correct forum.

I just got all the routine maintenance done on my engine and now the charging system is all I have left... cranking battery failing during the day despite running the motor often while using minimal electronics.

Motor: 2004 200L 2.5 Carb... Serial Number: 0T860297 Diagnosis: Failed stator coil and voltage regulators. Stopped the dealer today and was told the parts are backordered until August 30th... but got an update this afternoon the voltage regulators are available and will ship this week but not the stator coil.

My questions:

The voltage regulators (x2) are priced at $722.50 (for the pair). Part # 883072T2
    The stator is $792.64 Part# 858404T4

Is this in line with common pricing? Are there any board sponsors that may have the stator in stock?

Thanks a LOT! I appreciate the information

Cheers..

Gusman

6. Member
    Those seem like normal prices for those parts, however, if you order from European Marine, the post above you, aka Don “The Man” Weed, you get free shipping and a 10% discount. You can call or order off the website, calling works good and just mention the bbc board discount. It’s nice to support him as he contributes a lot of his free time to help us all keep our motors running, for free.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    +1 ^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................