Ever had this happen with lure color?

I was on a good swim jig bite this past weekend, like 30-50 fish a day. A lot of them were short, only caught maybe 15 keepers (14") in 2 1/2 days but lots of 13 - 13 1/2 inchers. Anyway I threw black and blue and green pumpkin. Realized driving home yesterday that I caught about equal amounts of fish on both colors but the keepers only came on the green pumpkin, not one legal on black and blue all weekend. Same trailer too except for the color (UV Speed Craw)

Like I'd go up a bank with black and blue, catch 5 or 6 shorts and then come down it again and catch 4 shorts and 2 keepers on the green pumpkin. It's not like the legals I was getting were giants either. My biggest was 2.59lbs. Just thought it was weird.

I've never had color matter like that for largemouth, at least not for colors that are so similar, but for smallmouth I definitely have, particularly with jerkbaits. I've had a couple days there to where a slight difference in color meant the difference between 50+ fish with a lot of big ones versus massive frustration of fish tracking the bait only getting lucky enough to catch a couple.

Guessing based on the technique it must've been largemouth? That's surprising to me! I did have one largemouth/swim jig day during a tourney where dyeing the tip of my trailer chartreuse was everything. Essentially I was catching them really well with the dyed tip then got lazy and replaced a trailer and didn't dye it. After a good half hour of nothing I started to wonder, so I dyed it and tossed it over the side while I put the dye away with the boat drifting. My best fish of the day nearly jerked the rod in the water before I could put the dye away. Chartreuse isn't nearly as subtle as green pumpkin vs. black and blue though. Crazy!

This thread isn't doing any favors to the one about lightening the load in the boat....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    It always comes down to right place right time. Fish many times group by size especially when it comes to smaller fish. Color choice doesn't guarentee more or bigger fish any day - lure type and presentation far more important.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    It always comes down to right place right time. Fish many times group by size especially when it comes to smaller fish. Color choice doesn't guarentee more or bigger fish any day - lure type and presentation far more important.
    I don't think you understood my post. It was the same place same time...up a 50 or 100 yard stretch of bank with black/blue and 5 shorts, back down the same stretch with GP and 3 shorts and a keeper or the other way around...up with GP and shorts and a keeper and back down with only shorts. Fishing was tough and I knew we were going to have to sort through shorts...I didn't realize until after the tournament that all the keepers came on GP. I'd say I probably actually had more fish on black/blue in total just none that kept. Seemed weird to me

5. Member
    While there could have been something about color which drew bigger bites, it still could have been a coincidence. Especially when they are all around the same size, it could have been just a matter of 10% of the fish are keepers and they happened to bite during the 50% time you had GP on.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    On one lake here throwing finesse worms. When the sun was out on a partly cloudy day, the bite was good using Watermelon Candy. When the clouds came over the bite would stop. My cousin put on a Sour Grape and started getting bit. All that color is is a laminated watermelon candy with junebug. I put one on and stated catching fish. When the sun came back out the bite would stop using the sour grape. So we started swapping rods with one with the candy and the other with the Sour Grape waiting for the cloud cover.. Sure enough the bite would stop with the candy worm with the cloud cover and good bite with the junebug/candy. After that on that lake we each always had two rods with those colors watching the clouds/sun for what color to throw. Coincidence is what we were thinking at first, but changing did made the difference in getting bites everytime we fished that lake..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    While there could have been something about color which drew bigger bites, it still could have been a coincidence. Especially when they are all around the same size, it could have been just a matter of 10% of the fish are keepers and they happened to bite during the 50% time you had GP on.
    Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I've had plenty of times where fish turn on and off colors based on changing conditions like clouds or rain or whatever but we had a stable day and it was just odd to me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I've had plenty of times where fish turn on and off colors based on changing conditions like clouds or rain or whatever but we had a stable day and it was just odd to me.
    That's a part of the puzzle piece of bass fishing that can make it so confusing. Even when you switch location / baits and all the sudden start hammering them, often it's just a bite window thing vs a bait / presentation thing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I was on a good swim jig bite this past weekend, like 30-50 fish a day. A lot of them were short, only caught maybe 15 keepers (14") in 2 1/2 days but lots of 13 - 13 1/2 inchers. Anyway I threw black and blue and green pumpkin. Realized driving home yesterday that I caught about equal amounts of fish on both colors but the keepers only came on the green pumpkin, not one legal on black and blue all weekend. Same trailer too except for the color (UV Speed Craw)

Like I'd go up a bank with black and blue, catch 5 or 6 shorts and then come down it again and catch 4 shorts and 2 keepers on the green pumpkin. It's not like the legals I was getting were giants either. My biggest was 2.59lbs. Just thought it was weird.
    I've done the same thig here at night on baby brush hogs. Using junebug with tail dyed & green pumpkin with tail dyed & green pumpkin caught bigger fish. We did this in a tournament & culled our entire limit & won it. We would have gotten third until we culled up. Buddy using green pumpkin & me junebug at the same time & both on the front deck. Why i don't know but it happened & hasn't happened since but i sure was several hundred dollars gladder than i would have been if it didn't happen.