2016 250 ProXS Hesitation/Surging @ 5500/55mph+ only in warm temps?

Model#: 1251P73BD
    Serial#: 2B361261

2016 250 ProXS started hesitation/power surging @ 5500/55mph+ last summer, went away into the fall. Worked fine this spring during cooler temps, ran very well, 74-76 mph tournament load @ 5800 rpm with 25p fury.
    Get into late June/July now, heat of summer, and I'm getting a hesitation/cut out/surging at 5500rpm+/55mph+ that only seems to happen during warmer temps and when motor is warm, and mainly when I'm crossing boat wakes/when boat is rocking motion/rough water. Very odd. Runs decent on nice flat water, maybe a little hesitation at times but really starts to hesitate/power surge during rocking motion like when crossing boat wakes. I can trim down to stabilize boat and run at 5500rpm/55mph and get to where I need to go but need to get this figured out. No issues with hole shot/ slower speeds/flat water (for the most part). Just during higher speeds (60mph+), higher rpms (5500+), mainly when crossing wakes/rough water and only during warmer temps/when motor is warm.
    Almost like its getting surges of fuel/fueling getting cut or something could be loose? Had to Merc tech that had checked/tightened coils and they seemed fine to him. Just seeing if anyone out there has heard of or has had this problem with their motor? Just to get an idea of where to begin looking to right this issue... collapsing fuel line? compressor? coils? injectors? Why only when during rocking motion and when warm? Any help would be appreciated!!
    2000 Triton Tr-21
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    posible low fuel level in boost pump chamber due to restricted supply ,need fuel psi test to verify
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would also recommend you install a new fuel filter (even if it's bee changed recently) just to rule out the possibility. Have seen some problems with restricted filters.

Reading through your post... are you really picking up 20 MPH between 5500 and 5800? That's a might big difference in performance....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Ballpark numbers but 55mph at 5500 and very trimmed down (to stabilize hull). Once out of rough water I can trim up, reach 72-75mph at 5800. Until I enter the next boat wakes/rough water, where I trim down slightly while approaching but motor starts surging/fuel starving/cutting out during rocking of hull, causing me to trim down a lot to stabilize hull. Just what I'm seeing as I'm glancing down to check RPM and MPH while all of this is going on.
    2000 Triton Tr-21
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd be looking at items that might be affected by the changes in boat attitude: Fuel level, pickup tube, float and needle (also debris in passage to needle) in the VST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor