Question TRIM NEEDLE STOPS WORKING?

After a while my trim needle won't move. It seems to be O. K. for a while and then just freezes and I can't get it to move when I trim the motor. I don't understand why it stops working. Help! When I move the little black lever on the steering rod on land the needle goes up and down each time. Why does it stop on the water?

2. Member
    Bad connection at the gauge maybe? That's where I'd start.

3. Member
    Checked it! Nice and tight!

4. Member
    Trim sender on the motor moves a switch to send it to the trim gauge. Chances are the bolt is loose. look for the black sender bolted under the front side of the motor. Google "yamaha trim sender" you'll see what it looks like. You'll need to trim up your motor to see it. Doesn't hurt to put the safety arm down if you're putting fingers in there too.
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

5. Member
    Checked that also! Needle goes up and down when the lever is pushed up and down. I don't understand why it works sometimes on the water and all of a sudden it won't move. It seems as though something breaks down. Very weird but I don't think I will ever be able to find the problem. I'm wondering if the gauge Might be bad?

6. Member
    I'm thinking about replacing the trim gauge. Their fairly cheap. Is their any thing I should know before I buy or are they standard. I'm looking at a SIERRA. I have a Yamaha 150.

7. Member
    This may be what is happening. when you manually move the trim lever all is good. Now lift the lever up and let go of it. Let it move on its own. You might see that it is slow to return or won't move at all. I spray mine with a little silicone lube occasionally but it is still slow.

8. Member
    I'll try that! At this point I'm willing to try any thing. I brought the boat in for service on this problem. I'm waiting to see what they come up with. I have a feeling it's going to be we couldn't find any thing. It's been there a month!

9. Member
    did you get it fixed yet?

10. Member
    Got the boat back after almost 2 months waiting! Mech says he made an adjustment and tested it 10 time and says it's working fine.. I haven't put in the water yet but tried it as far as I could in the driveway. Seemed O.K. We'll see on the water!