Largemouth vs White Bass

Greetings!

I am interested in your interpretations of several screenshots and plan to visit often to post and ask questions.
    Hopefully, I will get confirmation of what I think (means that I have finally learned something - ha ha.) or I will learn something (I'm always trying to learn).
    My setup includes two units a left and a right with various screens depending on what I am doing.
    HERE IS WHAT I THINK in this set of images.
    2D Sonar shows a grouping of fish from 6 to 15 feet at the point on the map
    S.Harris 20220711-2-L.jpg
    Down Scan shows a ton of baitfish and larger fish (red dots) mostly above them with some mixed in but mostly towards the top.
    S.Harris 20220711-2-R.jpg

My conclusions:
    This lake (nuclear reservoir) has a lot of white bass in it and I think the larger fish are indeed white bass feeding because largemouth typically feed upward. This lake doesn’t have spots (not yet anyway).
    In my next set of images:
    2D Sonar shows several fish arches that are mostly in the 10 to 15 foot range.
    S.Harris 20220711-12-L.jpg
    Down Scan reveals baitfish above larger predator fish and thermocline begins at 20-22 feet.
    S.Harris 20220711-12-R.jpg
    My conclusions:
    I have been taught that largemouth feed upward and the bigger ones are lazy and hang towards the bottom for easier meals. The largest fish are the red dots with yellow centers (swim bladder).
    Knowing the thermocline is important to fish above it.
    Tactics to use:
    I would consider using to dive to around 15 feet, swim & hair jigs counted down to 15 feet, maybe a smaller spoon and jig it in the 12-20 foot range.
    So what do you guys think? I am interested in your valuable feedback and open to all comments.
    I think all comments are valuable, unless you are personally attacking me.

2. Member
    I'd say you are on the right track. Not so sure the up feeding theory always applies for largemouth bass though. Certainly white bass are more likely to be true open water predators that focus on shad. When largemouth bass are in a resting state, they certainly won' be oriented in an upward direction. Could just be some cruising too. I would agree with the thermocline and likely reduced oxygen below 22 ft or so... Certainly another viable option to catch fish, besides the ones you suggested... A-rig or possibly a flutter spoon as well. I would still be looking for some form of structure near the said baitfish where the bass might be hanging out when not chasing, or cruising.. Just my take...

3. Member
    Thank you Smallie Hawgin for you feedback. I appreciate other peoples feedback and do consider it the next time I’m out on the water in similar conditions.

I was curious on why you run two downscan screens with different palettes? Does the differing palette help in identifying species, or other reason?

5. Member
    Greetings 78Staff, thanks for asking about my preference and only my preference, so not based on instruction - is that I like these two palettes and to my eyes they allow me to compare the two. There are sometimes when structures and fish that appear differently under different conditions. E.g., water quality, clarity, temperatures, the brightness of the sun reflecting off of my screens, etc, etc… If I notice that one palette is better than the other then I reverse the palettes to meet the conditions. I usually use the blue but sometimes the bronze color is spot on. I find that I can easily identify the thermocline and structure with bronze and fish pop (contrast) better with blue. These are just my preferences and why I use them.