Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayuga Lake conditions

I just spent three days at Cayuga, I have never seen the lake in this condition? The north end weeds are pretty much gone or if you find them they looked terrible, if you go under the bridge to the top end its pretty much bare bottom and from Union Springs north when you typically have good healthy weeds everywhere .....gone... or bad bad.

Went to Bass Pro one night and one of the employees I was talking with said that they have sprayed the lake to kill the weeds do to finding hydrilla in the lake. When I was at the launch I asked the girl there doing the weed check on the boat if she knew anything about that and she said YES, they have sprayed the lake, she said she knows for sure they did the south end because thats where the hydrilla was found she did not know for sure if they did the rest of the lake or not but based on weeds conditions it sure seems that they did.

Fish were few north end only caught dinks, did find some good ones through the three days but strange thing I thought all the bigger fish we caught had bloody tails like they were just off the beds a few were actually dripping blood from the tail they were that fresh. One friend caught a 6.3 large mouth that looked still full of eggs like it still had not spawned?

Don't know whats going on the water was 73 to 76 where I fished?

2. Member
    Went south .. cooler water few fish still on beds .. catching #18 plus

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    They did spray cayuga just like pretty much every other lake wish NY would mind there business and stay off our lakes w chemicals.

4. Member
    Witnessed it in person in July 2019. Day before a tournament, we were fishing outside the College. Small boat with a generator shows up and puts a pump in the water. After he's done, the guy motors over and says "you can fish here, but I doubt it'll be any good. We're spraying here and down south."

I'd like someone to explain how dumping chemicals in a lake is a better alternative to weed growth, even if the weeds are invasive.

5. Member
    It’ll be interesting when the BPT comes this year..
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Well as Murph said you can still catch fish but not like normal and not in the normal areas, I also can’t figure out why spraying crap in to kill weeds is allowed, are they saying the chemicals are native to the lake ? They are much more invasive than any weeds, I just don’t get it ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    They did spray cayuga just like pretty much every other lake wish NY would mind there business and stay off our lakes w chemicals.
    KandK,

You would thing with all the other busy-body work against sportsman and their very ill informed ideas on 'climate emergency' would be enough to occupy their calendar. I believe that their greatest complain in the finger lakes if chemicals by farmers, yet her we are spraying chemical agents of lakes that are use for drinking water as well.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    KandK,

You would thing with all the other busy-body work against sportsman and their very ill informed ideas on 'climate emergency' would be enough to occupy their calendar. I believe that their greatest complain in the finger lakes if chemicals by farmers, yet her we are spraying chemical agents of lakes that are use for drinking water as well.
    100 percent correct... well said.. state needs mind there own business and let hydrillaand other weeds grow and if starts getting out of hand use mechanical harvestors not chemicals. suposssed to be conservationalists so how is harming the fishes ecosystem helping.

9. Member
    100 percent correct... well said.. state needs mind there own business and let hydrillaand other weeds grow and if starts getting out of hand use mechanical harvestors not chemicals. suposssed to be conservationalists so how is harming the fishes ecosystem helping.
    Don't reckon you have heard when they used weed killers in K lake cause of issues TVA was having in the Cumberland river going into Barkley lake. Fishery was decimated for yrs, and it is finally reestablishing and proliferating.
    I hope that this clowns don't precipitate us into some catastrophe in the name of prevention.

10. Member
    We have the same weed spraying and cutting going on Chautauqua Lake for years that have decimated the fine crappie fishing this lake once was known for. And what really irritates me is the "Chautauqua Lake Cottage Association" are residents from Ohio that are ruining our lake here. If I remember correctly back in the 90's we had them stopped using Diquat so they switch to Aquathol K and then they were shut down using that too but now they are back up and spraying POISON into our water. If it's not poison then let those who are spraying it DRINK SOME ! ! !

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    We have the same weed spraying and cutting going on Chautauqua Lake for years that have decimated the fine crappie fishing this lake once was known for. And what really irritates me is the "Chautauqua Lake Cottage Association" are residents from Ohio that are ruining our lake here. If I remember correctly back in the 90's we had them stopped using Diquat so they switch to Aquathol K and then they were shut down using that too but now they are back up and spraying POISON into our water. If it's not poison then let those who are spraying it DRINK SOME ! ! !
    Its the pleasure boaters and water skiers that bitch, the lake owners complain about weeds near there dock.. Randy howell had a issue on guntersville near his dock he paid to have a mechanical harvestor come and clean it out. thats a responsible conservationalist.

12. Member
    Its the pleasure boaters and water skiers that bitch, the lake owners complain about weeds near there dock.. Randy howell had a issue on guntersville near his dock he paid to have a mechanical harvestor come and clean it out. thats a responsible conservationalist.
    You are right bro, since it is your property so you should be responsible owner. I take care on my and my neighbor shoreline since he is older and he takes care of the grass mowing on the riding mower.

Chemicals all have some type of side affect, and I can tell you from my current experience with antibiotics, that even these, which are needed to possibly save your life, can kill you and cause internal physical havoc.

13. Member
    Spraying chemicals is the cheaper route AND more effective!

Most NY lakes had weed harvesters years back. NOBODY WANTS TO WORK and paying someone a salary to harvest weeds is a thing of the past!

How do they get away with spraying the grass right after the majority of ALL fish spawn with the fry need that grass for cover to survive?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    Spraying chemicals is the cheaper route AND more effective!

Most NY lakes had weed harvesters years back. NOBODY WANTS TO WORK and paying someone a salary to harvest weeds is a thing of the past!

How do they get away with spraying the grass right after the majority of ALL fish spawn with the fry need that grass for cover to survive?
    Just saw it in the news few days back, that a Gov Rep from that area is addressing the matter due to the amount of complains they must have received by the residents. He brought out the concern that many people have shore wells and any chemicals in the water is unacceptable.

15. Member
    who makes these types of decisions, to spray the weeds? here we are, fishermen on a chat and we see all the negatives on doing this and i am not even talking about how it effects fishing. spraying chemicals on spawning beds, kill weeds then there is no place for fry to hide, it moves fish to non natural grounds changing feeding or over populating some feeding areas, the mess it creates along shorelines, people now swimming, skiing in chemical effected waters, the above talked about shore wells, how many land owners have hoses with pumps drawing water out of the lake for things like filling pools, watering lawns and gardens, washing or bathing, it goes on and on. the positive it kills one certain invasive weed found in a few isolated places in a huge lake.......REALLY???

The Lake associations want it and the state, or county gives them the permit.

None of these entities really have a clue what goes on under the waters surface, nor IMHO, do they give a damn. They use invasive as the excuse. Its like a cult now.

Main thing is that they just don't want the weeds. Bothers their little tootsies when they swim. Fouls props and Jet ski intakes. Collects on the shoreline due to wind and wave action causing them to have to rake it up. In their view, the weeds lower the property value of their little slice of heaven. All that, and they think that because they own lakeside property and pay a higher taxes for that property, they have a greater say on the management of the lake.

Finally, there are a bunch of ignorant state bureaucrats that are more than willing to hand out permits like cotton candy to kids, because some of the leadership (Who probably own a place on a lake) may get kick backs from the companies who sell and apply the poisons. It's big money now so they'll never discourage it regardless of the consequences. Remember, this is New York State where honesty isn't even on the list.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    The Lake associations want it and the state, or county gives them the permit.

None of these entities really have a clue what goes on under the waters surface, nor IMHO, do they give a damn. They use invasive as the excuse. Its like a cult now.

In their view, the weeds lower the property value of their little slice of heaven. All that, and they think that because they own lakeside property and pay a higher taxes for that property, they have a greater say on the management of the lake.
    The fact that the lake association wants it, it makes me wonder why they would like chemicals in their water and backyards (which is the same water), but this supports what Forrest Gump said " Stupid is as stupid does"

With regard to 'cult style' associations, it is in every aspect and type of 'associations', which I had to deal with a bit back when we had a townhouse rental.
    You give a little person a little power, and now they think they control the world, which you can easily see this in politicians of every level incrementally.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    The fact that the lake association wants it, it makes me wonder why they would like chemicals in their water and backyards (which is the same water), but this supports what Forrest Gump said " Stupid is as stupid does"

With regard to 'cult style' associations, it is in every aspect and type of 'associations', which I had to deal with a bit back when we had a townhouse rental.
    You give a little person a little power, and now they think they control the world, which you can easily see this in politicians of every level incrementally.
    The Power trip of a "lake association" I can assure you is like no other.. reminds me of the "woke" community

19. Member
    The Power trip of a "lake association" I can assure you is like no other.. reminds me of the "woke" community
    Spot on!

20. Member
    It seems that you truly never hear many people say much good about any type of association. My experience with the townhouse, which I have sold, was about rebuilding the deck, and they had the audacity of trying to tell me that I had to use this looser that I knew couldn't built a dog house, instead of having my company built it. When I told them to bit me, they called the town of Ogden without telling them my company's name, since when the inspector showed up didn't even get out of the truck and told the president of the association he knew my work from 2 houses I built the prior yr in the 500K price point.
    You get POS in all aspect of life, so I try make the best of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast