Towing a tandem axle trailer on only three wheels?

Long story short: I have reached my level of incompetency regarding repacking a trailer hub.

So, now my boat and trailer is sitting in storage, missing a hub with the axle on a jack stand, about 15 miles from the closest trailer repair place.

Is it going to be okay for me to tow it there without one of the front axle wheels?

Thanks in advance.
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're just too busy.

2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 200

2. Banned
    I have heard of people strapping up the axle to the trailer frame to keep it level in a situation like yours but have never done it myself.

I did have a leaf spring snap on one side of front axle on tandem axle trailer and I drove it about 10 miles home after replacing the shredded tire.

3. Member
    I would if the hub doesn't hit the road surface. If push came to shove I guess you could chain the bare hub axle side to the trailer frame after you jacked it up so it wouldn't fall. I'd make sure the remaining tires were at maximum pressure first.
    That's one more advantage to having a Harbor Fright NASCAR aluminum floor jack, it gives you the versatility to do that.

4. Member
    Yes, you can do it! Think safety...... get your axle without a wheel secured where it is safe and will not damage anything else. If there is a lot of weight in the boat ( baits and tackle) and other stuff take it out....lighter is better. Drive slow, avoid rough roads.....you get the idea!

5. Member
    Absolutely can. Also, unless your spindle is significantly damaged, you could also put a hub on and haul it nice and easy. Even if you’re leaking grease pretty badly you would be able to make it that far on a freshly greased set of bearings.

6. Member
    Chain it up, have had to do it in an emergency 2x. We rent car haulers and they come in with just a rim sometimes no tire on one of the tandems.

7. Member
    Just watch a few videos on fixing it.Hubs are not that complicated to work on.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Just watch a few videos on fixing it.Hubs are not that complicated to work on.
    I have done that many, many times. However, I have exhausted pretty much all avenues to borrowing a hydraulic press for the rear seals, and I really don't want to buy one that I don't have room for and only use it a few times.

I already have the hub off, so I still might be able to take just it to the shop and get them to repack it.

Thanks to everyone.

2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV

Yes, you can, but chain/strap the axle to the frame, unless you have a torsion bar axle then just remove the wheel. The lack of weight will hole the hub up. Drive slower and just be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    I have done that many, many times. However, I have exhausted pretty much all avenues to borrowing a hydraulic press for the rear seals, and I really don't want to buy one that I don't have room for and only use it a few times.

I already have the hub off, so I still might be able to take just it to the shop and get them to repack it.

Thanks to everyone.
    Go to your local parts store and rent or borrow a set of race and seal drivers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Drive...51629742&psc=1
    I finally bought a set after using big sockets for years.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post

Thanks to everyone.
    I used a block of wood and a hammer to install seals for many years. You can also get a race/seal driver kit of Amazon for pretty cheap.

12. Member
    I pulled a 16' flatbed trailer (empty) 200 miles on three wheels.

13. Member
    Only guys think like this.

14. Member
    If you do not want to re-assemble the hub, Why not take the hub off and let someone else put the new races, bearings and seal on the hub. Then you just put it back on, add the grease and you are done. You will save a few bucks as they do not have to remove it etc....
    I would still vote to just do it all yourself. If you do it once, you will never pay someone to do it again

15. Member
    Man, I would just buy a new pre-packed hub and throw it on. You can buy them with all-new components and already filled with grease. Just remove old hub and slide the new one on, torque to 50lbs to pre-load, done.

You could also do as mentioned above... take your old hub to a shop and have them install all new and pack grease. Then take it home and install.

I see no advantage to towing it in. The above 2 options and easier.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

Just had to do it this last Sunday. We were about 75 miles from home when we lost a bearing. With nothing open to even attempt a parking lot fix I removed the wheel, strapped up the axle, and hit the road at 25 mph stopping and checking for tire heat about every 10-15 miles.

The most important thing you have to watch out for is heat in the remaining tire because it is now carrying the entire load on that side and IS going to heat up. Bumps and speed will accelerate the rate of heat build up but with only 15 miles to get to the shop you have nothing to worry about if you keep it under 30 mph.

2011 Z8-200 ProXS

17. Scraps
    Yep, just chain or strap the injured side up so she's about level. Drive slow. Think I'd get a short piece of chain with a shackle or big clevis, jack it up, then throw the chain on. Was wondering how I'd do this if it happened on the road. Could I wrap the axle with 200yds of power pro.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    If you have disk brakes make sure to put a piece of wood 1x2 inside your caliper. That way the trailer will still have the ability to help stop.

19. Member
    As I mentioned before, I was able to lube the subject hub and everything seems to be fine.

Of course, once I got it done, the replacement axle, including hubs, arrived the next week. Awaiting an appointment at a trailer repair place to install it.

And, of course, today I learned my bunks are going to need repair (at least).

It's always something.

2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV