Thread: tax time again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    WOW We we’re considering moving to SC, but those taxes are crazy!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I live in Fair Play, Anderson County just southwest of Greenville. I'm paying just under a grand in taxes for a 2013 boat and a 2016 300 2 stroke. My truck is a 2017 and its around the 700 mark.
    This is what I'm talking bout I'm in different county but I have 16 boat 17 pro xs 250 mine
    Less than grand I just can't see county to county being more than a percent or two difference but it shouldn't be 25 or 50 % more , when I moved my old boat was 135 in one county and 275 in the next ,thats not right and I called them on it and they changed it to 135.and it happened on the engine too and my ski boat and they switched them all to the match the other county so clearly they dont know what there doing and almost have to be just ripping people off that dont check and just cut a check

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nice thing about owning an old boat, no taxes in Anderson county on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Contest it, worse they can say is no.
    Fred,do ya’ll have property taxes in fl?Like,on boats,motors & trailers.

They used to have ad vaolrem (?) taxes but don't know if that's still the same now. And you have to have tag for any trailer. Everything else is free in Florida. Heard they were practically giving houses away down there........

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Fred,do ya’ll have property taxes in fl?Like,on boats,motors & trailers.
    Nope just a yearly tag fee on the boat, and trailer nothing on the motor.

7. Member
    Keep in mind that some states collect 6-8% sales tax that is added to total bill they are financing at 10 or 12% for 10+ years.

Is SC still $500 max when you register a new boat?

Hey, ya'll, I plan on retiring in SC so I'm wondering what SC charges less in taxes that offset this year after year personal property tax. Sales tax?, income tax? real-estate tax?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Member
    I grew up in Florida now sc ,I have family in Florida so if I add all my property taxes up boats ,cars,house,and of course I dont own anything high end just run of the mill but mine is still less than just there house .I know it's got to do with values and theres is worth more than mine but it all seems to come out in the wash

Our property taxes in Gainesville Fl on 2 acres was $2100 in '92. In '94 they jumped to $2400 a year. Fl has never been low on property taxes. SC is nowhere near that. I know I complain about my boat taxes but I would hate to be paying property taxes like I paid in Fl. And of course, a lot depends on where you live in Fl and the same in SC, although no where near what they are in Fl. My taxes here are close to $900 a year but that's with Homestead Exemption, thank goodness.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My property taxes here in FL Wakulla county last year was $1,340.00.

Yeah I think location has a lot to do with it. Also, sq foot of home, etc. As they say in real estate, everything is based on LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION..........
    Don't know your exact location but I would say the closer to Tallahassee, the higher the mileage rate. Just guessing though.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Hey, ya'll, I plan on retiring in SC so I'm wondering what SC charges less in taxes that offset this year after year personal property tax. Sales tax?, income tax? real-estate tax?
    None of the above. Coming from MD, you'd see a net reduction in your overall tax liability. But no, they didn't reduce any other tax anywhere. Why would they? Seriously.

Here's a small nugget, a microcosm of SC taxpayer politics:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-for-taxpayers
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Yeah I think location has a lot to do with it. Also, sq foot of home, etc. As they say in real estate, everything is based on LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION..........
    Don't know your exact location but I would say the closer to Tallahassee, the higher the mileage rate. Just guessing though.
    12 miles from downtown Tally 5 miles from Leon county Tallahassee's county. 2,000 sq foot house, 2 acres on cul de sac.

16. Member
    Insane! I dont know how South Carolina has a reputation of a low cost of living state.

All depends on what states you compare it to. I don't think they mean it's the lowest in the U.S. Over the years, I've lived in a lot of other states and non of them are cheap. They may be lower in some things but make up for it in other ways

18. Member
    Property taxes on my 2018 Skeeter / 250 SHO were more than on my house that appraised for $280K

Yeah, I don't know how they do it. Every time I think I have it straight, they throw me another curve. But yeah, my boat-motor is almost as much as mine also. Throw my truck in there and it is. Don't even count my SUV taxes......

20. Member
    Just got the bill.
    $840.42
    2013 Bass Cat 19.5 ft with 2012 200 Pro XS.
    Wondering what in the world they are doing with all that tax money??

Just looked up two friends in Aiken County.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 225 with 2018 Yamaha 225.
    $529.68.

2018 Bass Cat Puma with 2018 250 HP Yamaha
    $716.88.

Is there anything that can be done short of selling or moving to another county?

One more thing.
    I sold a 2007 Triton V176 Mag with a 2007 90hp Optimax before I bought this boat. The last year I paid taxes for it was 2019. I paid $103.55 for the boat appraised at $2667. And $81.36 for the engine appraised at $2095.
    Just checked what the new owner has due. He’s in Edgefield too. $277.05 for the boat appraised at $6857. And $207.71 for the engine appraised at $5333. Now that’s three years after my last payment.
    Bunch of crooks!
    Last edited by Judson1; 09-12-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast