Starter Issue I hope!

Out on the water today everything working great. About ready to head off the water and I went to start the engine and I heard a noise and it wouldnt engage. Its just made noise

Got home and opened the cowling and saw that one of the bolts on top of the housing of the starter was loose. I got into it deeper and noticed a part of the bracket had broke

My question is this going to be a starter/bracket or is this an engine issue? Fly wheel is moving. Is it common for those brackets to break?

Boat is 2014 zx 250 sho

2. Member
    UPDATE

I took the spark plugs out of the engine and was able to position the starter and the wife cranked the engine. Engine turned over like normal. Put plugs back in and tried it again and the starter wouldn't stay engaged to crank the engine.

Any ideas?

3. Member
    Sounds like you need to repair or replace the bracket.

4. Member
    Thats what I'm hoping for its just the bracket. Wasn't sure if anyone had an issue like this

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Sounds like you need to repair or replace the bracket.

5. Member
    Just had a similar issue. It was “due to low voltage” engine went to crank and had a “kickback” from battery voltage dropping to low, broke the starter bracket and damaged the starter. Engine was fine.

6. Member
    I changed the bracket and all is good

I shouldn't have had a low voltage issue but I will keep an eye on that. Kickback makes perfect sense what happened.

Thank you for that information

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRacing55 View Post
    Just had a similar issue. It was “due to low voltage” engine went to crank and had a “kickback” from battery voltage dropping to low, broke the starter bracket and damaged the starter. Engine was fine.