Thread: Hunt Prep

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

Hunt Prep

We are getting close! Work has not allowed me to work my hunting places much this time of year but I did get some supplements, feed and a little clover out for a month or so earlier. I don't have a lot of pics as my cams all in the garage :( Man I hope to get them out soon. My farmer says he has seem 20+ decent bucks on my 325ac place and this pic is of a couple guys from it but so far no real giants - BUT I know a couple around :)

I picked up a new 3800ac lease but am sharing that with a few other guys and it has great potential based on early scouting. Just need to spend time on it. You can only hunt so many places properly and having 20+ stands its fun but also many times to many choices... This year I'm working with a friend who I want to kill a nice buck so badly so will focus on him for about 10 days leaving me a week to hunt. Ill get it done as I'm not gonna let 150's pass this year like in last 2 years. Holding out for Booner or Bust is true dedication but last year the 2 I wanted won the game.

Hope to get out to the properties and set cams soon!

I'm headed to Montana 2nd week in August for a few days to try and put an arrow thru a "Speed Goat" . This will be interesting as I know NOTHING about them but have someone that does.

Tell us how its going for you guys and GL to all you killers this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Finally drew an archery tag for Iowa. Took 3 years. We stay at a farmhouse and hunt all the farmers land. He lets us do what we want. Going around Nov 3-13. Should see some big boys.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Will be heading out of state for our yearly public land, DIY mule deer hunt. Decided to use a number of points this year to draw a tag! Then will be going to the north part of the state to hunt whitetails during rifle season. Hopefully we can get some rain and get some peas and wheat planted.

4. mikesxpress
    Just watching and waiting to go behind the house in the clover plots.

Awe - the coveted tag!!! GL il be watching for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Finally drew an archery tag for Iowa. Took 3 years. We stay at a farmhouse and hunt all the farmers land. He lets us do what we want. Going around Nov 3-13. Should see some big boys.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

I Have been applying for Mule tags but no luck yet. I thinking next year should get one! - Hope to get one before I cant hunt any longer! I'm kind of sick of whitetails.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSouza View Post
    Will be heading out of state for our yearly public land, DIY mule deer hunt. Decided to use a number of points this year to draw a tag! Then will be going to the north part of the state to hunt whitetails during rifle season. Hopefully we can get some rain and get some peas and wheat planted.

Nice VA Bachler's group! Tearing up your Arrowhead!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Just watching and waiting to go behind the house in the clover plots.

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    I Have been applying for Mule tags but no luck yet. I thinking next year should get one! - Hope to get one before I cant hunt any longer! I'm kind of sick of whitetails.
    What states are you applying in? Grew up hunting mulies and then moved to OK. The last 10 years I’ve taken my cash(what used to be deer lease money for whitetails) and go out of state to chase mulies. Probably spend 2 weeks a year in mule deer country and 1-5 days a year chasing whitetail. Dont really get excited sitting in a blind or tree stand like i did when i first moved here.

9. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Nice VA Bachler's group! Tearing up your Arrowhead!
    My one acre plot of trial arrow leaf clover got eaten down to the ground after it bloomed. It didn't even get a chance to seed! I'm going to try it again in September with 4 acres and see if it will make it thru to seeding itself.
    The 4 acres of crimson is holding up well with an occasional mowing. I've got allot of mouths to feed.

10. Member
    Congrats on the draw, especially after only 3 years! Everyone else I know took 4-5 years.

Sounds like you got a great setup going there. Good luck and make sure to post pics and a report when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Congrats on the draw, especially after only 3 years! Everyone else I know took 4-5 years.

Sounds like you got a great setup going there. Good luck and make sure to post pics and a report when you get back!
    Iowa's licensing system sucks! They make you buy the $660 tag but only refund you $600 if you're not drawn. That adds up after 3, 4, 5 years of applying.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

12. Member
    I got permission yesterday on a corn field a really nice wife mule deer buck is using. September first if the wind is right I will kill him as he comes out of bed walks down the edge to a bean field. Seeing a few bucks but it is super dry so water is king
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

WY, MT and CO. I'm a bit tired of Whitetails actually. Want to do some out west hunting before I'm to old or cant.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSouza View Post
    What states are you applying in? Grew up hunting mulies and then moved to OK. The last 10 years I’ve taken my cash(what used to be deer lease money for whitetails) and go out of state to chase mulies. Probably spend 2 weeks a year in mule deer country and 1-5 days a year chasing whitetail. Dont really get excited sitting in a blind or tree stand like i did when i first moved here.

14. mikesxpress
    I lived in CO for 9 years and continued to go back to elk/mule deer hunt on private property near Kremling for 7 more years. I got my fill of that and stopped going. Management of my acorn rats here in VA and some hog hunting back home in SC is enough for me. I do like killing them with my crossbow and Benjamin Mega Pitbull PCP airgun.

15. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Congratulations we have some good one's here...
    LeaLea