Deep Water Bass Yough Style

So now Hair Jigs are all the rage on the Yough. I want to ask where have you been, sleeping under that mushroom? I think the first time I used them on the Yough was in 1983. They work and have their place, they have been extremely popular with the Walleye crowd. They work on bass too but not always my top three choices for deep water bass. Now don't get me wrong Walleye fisherman have been catching deep water bass for years. But to say it is a bait new to bass I have to ask how big was that mushroom.

I don't fish deep water bass as much as I use to. I should but I don't. Mainly my fishing buddy is more of a hard bait, top water bank type of fishing. Deep water is a different style that can be rewarding. But they key is you need patience, once you find bass you do not want to move.

My favorite deep water bait is plastic. Why? It out performs on deep water bass. Now my other choices will range from a rattle trap to jigs. OK I missed some but you get the point. So why not hair jigs? Go back to where I said plastic is better. At issue is anyone can work a hair jigs, not much to it. But to work plastic it is an art that will pay off big time. The great thing, N0 LIVE SCOPE NEEDED. You just need a good old fashion fish finder. If you using you live scope for this your glass will be only 1/8 full. I'll beat you all the time. OK maybe not, lol. Even blind squirrels can find nuts.

What you want to do is find a point that has shallow water the goes out into the main body of water. Your looking for water between 10 and 5 feet. Then you want there to be a fast drop off into deeper water over 20 feet. You should confirm it is holding fish with your fishfinder, even bait fish is good. What you want to do is keep your boat in that 10 ft to 5 ft water. A trolling motor with spotlock does a great job. Power poles can work to.

Now this is where you turn off or stop looking at your life scope. Trust me DONT LOOK AT IT. You will miss the forest for the trees. The bass will hold in the deeper water. They will even group or stack. However they will also move around on all three sides. They will follow the bait fish. Thus if you spend time looking you will miss most of the fish.

You want to fan cast all three sides. Cast into the deeper water. Let you bait hit the bottom. Don't be in a hurry to start reeling. Now my first choice is a Texas rigged Senko. A second choice would be a Ned Rig. This is where the fun starts, experiment with your retrieval. Once you find one that works stick to it. In addition I will work that same water with a gold or silver rattle trap.

Just 4 days ago my fishing partner and I had a blast fishing as I explained above. We brought up a bass every 5 mins for a total of 10.

Hey it does not work all the time but when the bass move deep in the hot days give it a try. Remember if they are biting hair jigs they will crush plastic when fished correctly.

Note; this style is very effective on the Yough. For the life of me I can't explain why I haven't down more the past two years.

Give it a try and let me know how you did. Lol where is the videos? Hey I'm going to at least make you work to find my favorite points. Hint the last bass picture I posted came off my favorite point fishing this style. It's easy to hide a spot when taking a photo.

I though I would add a photo of my buddy from that day. Deep Water bass can be fun and fast action. Patgot the record that day with two great fish in 30 seconds, maybe a min.

20220711_150713.jpg
    Last edited by Fx20 2011; 07-14-2022 at 11:01 PM.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

2. Moderator
    Good read!
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

3. Member
    good read. that is pretty much how we fish where I live. We don't have alot of huge body of waters and our lakes get pummeled on a daily. We were fishing deeper yesterday pre-fishing and we got all our good fish in deeper water. 9-15 feet. So much fun catching smallies in deeper water. Not that they aren't fun in shallow but in deep water. . . I don't know it's pretty fun. I learned how to fish jigs with plastics these past 2 seasons. I should say learning. . . I'm always learning. We just used the live view to find schools of bait and started casting into them. Tuesday night was the same. Our good fish came out of the deeper water. Same thing. Look for bait start throwing those jigs with grubs and such. We in general don't fish much top water stuff.