Power Wrapper for Sale?

Anyone have a power wrapper for sale? I have a feeling rod building is going to turn into what fly tying is to me now - a money pit, and I'd like to see what kind of passion this turns into before I sink a ton of cash into it.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Member
    I'd recommend just getting a hand wrapper, I've been using the same one since I started 15+ years ago. Probably build 30-50 rods a year and fix probably twice that amount.

3. Member
    What hand wrapper do you have if you dont mind me asking? I've been looking at the CRB Stuff.

4. Member
    CRB is ok. I've replaced the stands an carriage with those from Al Engling. Who's stuff can be found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/2133760100242133

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

5. Member
    I don't like the CRB stuff, I got one in a lot of rod building stuff I bought and didn't care for it at all. I've been using the Flexcoat one

6. Member
    The only thing I really feel like I would like a power wrapper for is doing long deco wraps in a split grip handle section, dragon scale over wrap or a base wrap that will get a cross wrap over it, something where I am gonna have 1500-2500 turns of the rod. Last rod I did, I just ran a tape arbor over the butt of the rod, chucked my drill up to the rod, and did a 7" base wrap in about 90 seconds. Worked slicker than snot. Using the CRB hand wrapping station with the steel V-stands and some hair binders to hold the rod, it was quick and easy. Other than that, I don't think I would be quite good enough wrapping guides to use a power wrapper.

7. Member
    I have the CRB hand wrapped and it’s alright. It gets the job done but the thread tensioner can be a pain. I only build 2-3 rods a year so it suits my needs.

i would suggest buying a key turn kit to get you started and see if you like it then go from there. The only thing I’ve found so far that I’m not a fan of is the CRB rod blanks. They are labeled completely wrong. While fairly sensitive, the actions are way off what you’d expect. The MHX blanks are great though
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    You sound like the kind of person I am. I tend to go all in on things when I do them. For that reason I will tell you get a power wrapper and never look at hand wrapping. There is a learning curve but why learn twice, there is some difference between hand and power wrapping to me. I would recommend getting an American tackle or pac bay wrapper over the crb. Also get the ALPS upgraded chuck if you can. I put off getting one for 3 years or so thinking what I had stock was good enough. After I upgraded I would not go back. One of the best benefits of having a power wrapper to me is applying finish. I can get a much cleaner finish with the rod spinning faster. And you can use most as a dryer if you aren't doing multiple rods at a time.

9. Member
    This will be a one rod at a time thing for me as I dont intend to build and sell. Every rod I build will be for myself or family, maybe close friends. Im a perfectionist when it comes to creating things and have a feeling that if I buy a hand wrapper I will be disappointed in the long run and have just wasted a bunch of money. That's why when a hand wrapper was suggested I decided I would buy a CRB RBS system with a track. I can add the motor later on and the thread carriage and stands wont change. With that being said, if someone has a used power wrapper they are looking to get rid of, I would be interested.

Jim

10. Member
    Being a perfectionist and starting with a power wrapper might not be the best idea, I've never used one but my guess is things will go wrong faster and may cause more frustration. Using a hand wrapper you can go slow and make sure you are happy with the how the wrap is looking and make sure your wraps are packed nicely. Guide wraps are short anyway so going slow still goes quick.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    Being a perfectionist and starting with a power wrapper might not be the best idea, I've never used one but my guess is things will go wrong faster and may cause more frustration. Using a hand wrapper you can go slow and make sure you are happy with the how the wrap is looking and make sure your wraps are packed nicely. Guide wraps are short anyway so going slow still goes quick.
    Totally agree, a lot of guys with power wrappers still wrap the guides manually and just use the power for long runs and applying finish.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Totally agree, a lot of guys with power wrappers still wrap the guides manually and just use the power for long runs and applying finish.
    I will be one to say this is completely opposite for me. If you have good control with the pressure you apply to the foot pedal you can make the rod turn as slow or slower than by hand. If you just lightly press the foot pedal you can probably have the rod down to under 5rpm. Sure that is agenizing slow but it is very doable if you need to and have the control.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    I will be one to say this is completely opposite for me. If you have good control with the pressure you apply to the foot pedal you can make the rod turn as slow or slower than by hand. If you just lightly press the foot pedal you can probably have the rod down to under 5rpm. Sure that is agenizing slow but it is very doable if you need to and have the control.
    I have never used a power wrapper and I don't doubt you can get it to turn slow, but I don't think you can turn it slower than by hand haha. Nonetheless, I know one can achieve great results with a power wrapper, I just feel for a beginner who is a perfectionist would have a more enjoyable time starting with a hand wrapper
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

14. Member
    I wrap everything by hand and don't do any long decorations so no need for a power wrapper. I did build a 6 RPM turner applying finish. Have about $25 in 3 stations.

15. Member
    I have one that is in mint condition that I would be willing to sell. Let me know and I can send you the details.
    Last edited by VanderLaan; 07-23-2022 at 06:38 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I'd recommend just getting a hand wrapper, I've been using the same one since I started 15+ years ago. Probably build 30-50 rods a year and fix probably twice that amount.
    Agreed. Did it with a significantly higher volume for a long time.
    Recommend a Sully wrapper, it's a great product. Chase one down.