Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ultrex larger gas piston

Had back surgery and would like to find a bigger gas piston for my Ultrex 112. I have a live scanner on it now and is very heavy to lift. Anyone find a more powerful gas piston that would make the Ultrex easier to lift?

2. Member
    You would have to take measurements and then look for the same size with more a higher # rating.

3. Member
    Hopefully you will find one that will work. Upsizing the piston made a big difference for me. However, I just put the piston from a 112 on my 80.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    This kit is if you do not have lift assist on your troll motor. You can find just the piston if you measure the extended length and find one the same length with a 50 or 60# rating.

See below

https://store.easylift.com/marine-ga...RoCOfEQAvD_BwE

6. Member
    I’d say the p1:860N would be the strongest one MK offers.
    https://trollingmotorparts.com/minn-...-parts/?page=8

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    Doesn't have to be a MK part. Plenty of aftermarket pistons available. But as Brad mentioned, size has to be correct.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    All the Ultrex pistons are 10.25”. There are hundreds of companies that offer something in that range. It’s just a matter of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    Yes it is. I changed the one for a Ultrex 45" 24V motor from the weakest 640N to the strongest since I had a MEGA 360 and MEGA LIVE attached, and it was not enough. Since adding LIVE TL it weighs even more. Need about 1500N for all that. Now I have two of the 860N's part #2288405 and I can stow the motor with almost zero effort other than unlatching it, but the 1720N is a little too much since I have to push the mount down slightly to latch it. The mid size 770N doubled would be close to perfect.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 08-02-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    So did you customize the mounts to get that double in there or are they external now?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes it is. I changed the one for a Ultrex 45" 24V motor from the weakest 640N to the strongest since I had a MEGA 360 and MEGA LIVE attached, and it was not enough. Since adding LIVE TL it weighs even more. Need about 1500N for all that. Now I have two of the 860N's part #2288405 and I can stow the motor with almost zero effort other than unlatching it, but the 1920N is a little too much since I have to push the mount down slightly to latch it. The mid size 770N doubled would be close to perfect.

Wayne please share how you have two!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Wayne please share how you have two!!
    A clever crappie angler came up with the idea since he added a homemade turrent for the Livescope on his Ultrex and being old like me, it was a chore to stow/deploy. He had already changed the 640N to the 860N and was not enough. He made a dual attachment block for the rod end that connects to the shaft stabilizer yoke and then had to trim some mount parts for clearance of the side by side gas springs. He used both of the gas springs (640 and 860) and it was a little too much. I had purchased an additional 640 thinking two of those would be enough. He made that part for me and then did the modification of the mount. After putting it all together, I could tell by what he experienced that would not be enough for what I needed. So I had not enough and he had too much so we traded gas springs so he had two 640's and I had two 860's. Now his mount will latch without pushing it down. I may change one of the 860's to the 770N, but it's not too much to deal with yet.
    This is his installation that lead to me doing the same. The yellow paint was used to detect where parts made contact so trimming would allow clearance.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Exactly what I’ve been drawing this morning. This may take some time.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A clever crappie angler came up with the idea since he added a homemade turrent for the Livescope on his Ultrex and being old like me, it was a chore to stow/deploy. He had already changed the 640N to the 860N and was not enough. He made a dual attachment block for the rod end that connects to the shaft stabilizer yoke and then had to trim some mount parts for clearance of the side by side gas springs. He used both of the gas springs (640 and 860) and it was a little too much. I had purchased an additional 640 thinking two of those would be enough. He made that part for me and then did the modification of the mount. After putting it all together, I could tell by what he experienced that would not be enough for what I needed. So I had not enough and he had too much so we traded gas springs so he had two 640's and I had two 860's. Now his mount will latch without pushing it down. I may change one of the 860's to the 770N, but it's not too much to deal with yet.
    This is his installation that lead to me doing the same. The yellow paint was used to detect where parts made contact so trimming would allow clearance.

Awesome!

15. Member
    Uhhh that old crappie fisherman should Patent that!

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Uhhh that old crappie fisherman should Patent that!

Outstanding!
    There is going to be a lot of anglers wanting to do this

Please tell us we can get a diagram of the dual attachment block and instruction on how modify the rest
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Member
    Wayne, Really wanting the info on the two piston setup as well.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varbs521 View Post
    Wayne, Really wanting the info on the two piston setup as well.
    Yes please. Me too
    Ultrex 112 ipilot link MDI....Mega Live Targetlock….360 Mega….Helix 12 MSI G4N ……Helix 12 MDI G4N .....Helix 12 MDI G3N .....Helix 12 MSI G2N.....Helix 12 SI G2N...
    8’ AA Raptors

20. Member
    I will be fabricating this this week. I’m sure Wayne will chime in, but I will try to document my attempt.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast